"Yeah dad! I had to come through. Remember I was telling you I hated when we only called and text on the phone? So I took advantage and came myself."

His words melted my heart, words that could make a grown man cry.

"I really am happy to see you Daedae."

He chuckles putting his dreads up into a ponytail.

"Damn your dreads long as hell now. I can remember the day I took you up to the shop just so you could get your journey started."

"Man, I got that good hair you know what I mean?" We both laughed. "You looking like an old man in here though! Your hair starting to get some hang time I see."

"Oh you got jokes huh? I'm not old, and I've been having this good of hair. Just wait till it grows so more. Gonna be longer than yours in a second."

He kissed his teeth waving me off.

"So your mother was just okay with you coming up here?" I wanted to get back on that topic because I really wanted to know.

"Well not exactly... I had to get some things off my chest so she could understand. I'll admit, I felt like I said some shit— I mean stuff I shouldn't have but I apologized to her quick because I knew I was in the wrong."

"What did you say to her?"

"How I could make my own decisions for myself now since I'm 19..." He led on saying.

"And what else? You said you said something disrespectful to her. That couldn't just be it." I looked at him waiting for Daedae to speak. "Tell me what you said Daedae."

"I told her it was kind of weird that she's not letting you see Amir and how she's not talking to you while you're still paying the bills..."

As a father, I expressed my disapproval of his disrespectful behavior towards his mom.

"I know that you're trying to defend me and everything, I appreciate that. But I don't want you to be disrespecting her while doing so. You know I don't even play like that when it comes to the disrespectfulness." I said in a sharp tone making sure Daedae knew.

"What me and Mariah is going through has nothing to do with you. In my eyes, you're still a child to me."

"I know dad I know," He closed his eyes before opening them back up again to speak. "I felt bad after I said that to her."

"Just don't do it again."

He nodded.

"So... Chubbs told me your the top prospect in your class?" I started up a new conversation giving him dap for that achievement.

"Of course! You know my body."

"Being cocky already, I understand though." I laughed.

"I can back it up though! But yeah I'm the top prospect in my class. Everything I prayed for and you helped me with is finally paying off dad."

"Don't thank me. I was just doing what a father is supposed to do. All praises go to the most high you feel me?" I rested my head on my fist.