Chapter 11: The Tilneys part 2

The plan seemed to be to wander the grounds with the Tilneys. Heading towards the dining hall, Nell's parents peppered the boys with questions: Where did they live? Across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco in a place called Marin County. Had they always come to this camp? Yes, since they were boys. They had worked as CITs, cabin counselors, and Rob had been a unit director, in charge of a unit of counselors. Cash told them he was excited to transition to program staff. He loved kids, but he mostly liked teaching them. He was a year older than Nell, and was heading to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in the fall. Rob had just graduated from there.

"You following in your brother's footsteps, Cashel?" Nell's mom asked.

Cash smiled down at her easily, not correcting her use of his full name. "I am going to the same college, but I've declared my major in child development."

Sandra looked pleased. "That'll be good if you really do want to become a teacher someday."

"Yes. That's what I was thinking."

Rob glanced over at his younger brother. Nell thought she saw a hint of disdain on his face that he quickly quelled. Maybe she was seeing things, but she knew a little something about sibling rivalry. Her brother Jamie was pretty cool, but that didn't mean he hadn't had his moments of terrorizing her when they were kids. He still liked to get some teasing in whenever they first entered each others' orbits after a long separation. For example: last winter break, Jamie had grabbed her in a headlock and given her a noogie. He was too smart to hang on for too long, letting her go before she could use her self-defense learnings and stomp down on his instep, collapsing it as he so rightly deserved. He also was the only person who ever got away with calling her Pen or Penny—and she used the term getting away with loosely, as she usually only let him say it once before quickly grabbing his arm and biting down not-so gently with as many teeth as she good manage to get around his flesh. It had been a lot more effective when she'd had braces and could scrape them over his skin for good measure.

Something was up with these Tilney boys. Did they like each other? Did they get along? There seemed to be an age gap...color Nell intrigued! She'd be watching them for signs of strife, until it turned too boring, which it might. Sibling rivalries didn't really go anywhere if parents weren't around to witness and be courted for their best love and affection. Sibling rivalries never truly died. They just became better hidden in adulthood with distance and time—snipes and vying for inheritances. Or so Nell imagined from reading novels.

They walked to the camp director's cabin, which is where Rob would be staying for the summer. A Volvo station wagon was parked in front of the cabin—apparently, he hadn't been able to wait in the parking lot for Morrie to formally welcome him back to camp. Nell's dad raised his eyebrows.

"Taking the initiative I see," he said, and no more.

Rob looked concerned. "I hope this is okay, sir. It's just...well, I knew where to go."

Morland ignored him, walking to the front door of the cabin and opening it. Damn, Nell thought. That's an alpha move. She followed her father inside, head held high.

==

Wattpad fam: Thanks again for reading! I think this chapter needs at least one more part, which will be on its way. Above is a picture taken from Marin County. You can see the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco in the distance. Thanks to Sotheby's Realty for letting me use it!