"We're right here. Ain't goin' anywhere." Dad reassured her.

Suddenly a few gunshots went off outside. I peered out the window to see what was going on just as Ezekiel asked, "What's going on?"

"They're shooting anyone that climbs the gates." Mercer stated, grabbing his gun off the table.

Ezekiel saw his motion, "Hey, what are you doing?"

"People are dying. I can't just stand by." Mercer replied, checking his ammo, "The truck is gassed up with some reserves in the rear. It's enough to get you home. We can sneak you out the back. This isn't your fight. These aren't your people."

"Yes, they are. And so are you. You may not think this place is worth saving, and I get that, given how they treated us. But it's worth it to me. The people are worth it, and I'm not gonna allow them to fall without a fight. Not today.. I'm with you. Who else?"

A bunch of people spoke up in unison, saying that they were gonna stand with Mercer and help save the Commonwealth. I stood up with a nod too, these people were innocent. They deserve saving too.

Mercer looked around the room at everyone who was up to helping, "Alright then.. let's get 'em."

Everyone armed themselves immediately. I shrugged my rifle over my shoulder for protection, so did Leigh, my dad, Carol and a bunch of other people and soon we marched outside and to the gates where the commotion was coming from.

A few soldiers who saw us aimed their weapons at us until Mercer came over too, "Lower your weapons!" He barked at them, and a few of them obliged, but some didn't. 

Pamela looked furious, "Arrest them." She ordered.

Her general looked shocked at the amount of people, "Ma'am..." She trailed off, clearly off-putted by the older woman's order.

"Traitor!" Pamela roared at Mercer, but the man in orange armor said otherwise. 

"No. You are, Governor. You disappeared hundreds of citizens, led the dead to our doorstep. And now you've left thousands out there to die."

I gripped my gun in anger, "And you shot my sister, bitch."

Gabriel then marched past them to open the gate, ignoring the guns aimed at him, "We're opening the gate and letting these people in. I'll kill anyone who tries to stop me."

The general had her gun raised too, still clinging onto her authority that didn't really matter anymore, "Stop or we will be forced to shoot you."

"We'll fire back." Carol threatened with her pistol clutched in her hand.

When my dad saw what was happening, he had had enough and stood between everyone, "Stop! What the hell you doin'? We all deserve better than this." He looked at Pamela especially, "You built this place to be like the old world. That was the fսckin' problem."

"If I open the gates, the dead will get in, not just the living." Pamela fired back.

"If you don't, you're gonna lose everythin' anyway. We got one enemy. We ain't the walking dead." Dad spat and marched forwards after Gabriel.

The General put down her gun in agreement and looked at the troopers behind her, "Lower your weapons! He's right! Give the priest the key. On your command, General Mercer."

Pamela looked astonished at the lack of supporters for her, aimlessly gazing around for someone to help her, but no one did. Mercer stepped closer to the woman intimidatingly, "Pamela Milton, you're under arrest for high crimes against the people of this Commonwealth. Cuff her." A trooper behind her took her hands harshly and put them in handcuffs, guiding her away from everyone.