Trust

The next morning, Sancha found herself standing in Olvan's office once more, Lenori at her shoulder. Olvan stood behind his desk (which was a new one thanks to Siegfried's earlier misadventure). As Lenori and Sancha related everything that had occured, Olvan showed no visible emotion, remaining serious, silent, and attentive until they had finished explaining the whole of it. Only after they were done did Olvan speak for the first time.

"Are you certain of this, Lenori? If this kind of power is indeed possible, then..." he trailed off, seeming at once troubled, yet also curious, and...determined? 

"I am," Lenori replied with conviction. "The question now is what's to be done."

Sancha felt her body tense. She felt lost and heavy with dread, not knowing what might be in store for her. What could they have in mind for her now? Would she be sent away again? She had at last begun to feel comfortable in Greenhaven. She had made a friend in Alec and in Finn to a certain extent. She'd formed a strong bond with Tarik, who had been ever patient and understanding even whilst being a fairly strict instructor. Was that all about to change? 

"Perhaps you already have notions of this yourself, Sancha," Olvan said evenly, taking her by surprise. Already anxious, she now felt like an animal caught in a trap, surrounding by hunters.

"I...I don't know. If...I don't know if I can cure the Bonding Sickness, though if I can, I want to help. But, I need to know more."

"Agreed," Olvan stated. "This is unlike anything we've ever encountered before. We must tread carefully. Regardless of where this leads, your training must continue. But, I think we ought to figure out how far this truly goes. Do you agree, Sancha?"

"Yes," Sancha said without hesitation. 

"This may take time," Lenori told her. "The full extent of your abilities may not reveal themselves until you've developed them further. Nonetheless, with what you've already shown me, I'm convinced there is a great deal of hope here. Whatever happens next, we may badly need your help."

This left Sancha with a pit in her stomach. 

"I understand if the idea of aiding us is uncomfortable to you, but-," Lenori began.

"No. It's not that," Sancha interrupted. Despite her insecurity, she spoke with greater conviction then she could ever remember having before, especially in the presence of adults. She stood a little taller, eyeing both of the Greencloaks before her, taking a breath, and speaking slowly so as to allow herself to think carefully over her words.

"I've already helped you by simply coming here. That's how my people would see it. I'm already a traitor, and by now, I've accepted that. I understand that what's happened can't be changed. None of us want to see a war come to Erdas, but if it does, I know which side will be the one to start it. No matter who wins, the ones who'll suffer most are the innocents, in both Stetriol and the rest of the world."

She swallowed, inhaled, and kept speaking, Olvan and Lenori listening without interrupting her.

"I'd like to think I can make a difference. That I can help undo the damage done long ago and after. But I'm just one girl. A marked one of course, but still a lone girl. No matter how powerful I may grow to be, you can understand why I might doubt whether or not I can truly make a significant impact. There are thousands out there who never got the Nectar. I doubt I'd be able to help all those who need it within Eura, let alone the rest of Erdas. And my homeland...even with the promise of my helping to heal them, I doubt they'll let me back if they knew what I've done. Besides that, my uncle is a man who sticks to his convictions, and hardly gives a thought to the thoughts of most others. He practically ignored my existence all my life. And besides, Zerif has already given him a cure. I'm just of no use to him. And if he's determined to wage war on the rest of Erdas, I doubt he'd reconsider even if the Devourer rose from his grave and ordered him to. So, what I'm trying to say is, even if I can cure the Bonding Sickness, will whatever I'm able to do even matter? Why would anyone even believe I could even do it?"

"You bring up some valid considerations," Olvan said. "But in my experience, making a small difference is better than making none at all. And whatever happens, you have my and the entirety of the Greencloaks' support."

"Thank you," Sancha replied earnestly. "I can only hope others in your ranks are as understanding as you are. I may not want to fight against you, but I share the blood of the Reptile King. Some will call be a valuable pawn or a threat."

"I know," Olvan told her. "There are many reasons your identity has not been widely shared with others. Your protection is one of them. There are doubtless those among the Greencloaks who may desire to use you against your family, or keep you from helping them."

"Do you think I'm a threat?" Sancha asked.

"I'd be lying if I didn't say it hadn't crossed my mind. But those fears are long passed now. Besides, it would be folly to hold you accountable for the crimes of your ancestors."

"And what of yours?" Sancha asked.

"That is a very different case. I'd like to think we've tried to do a good deal of good, but it's true that there is blame to share for the suffering of your homeland and those beyond it. I do not blame you for your mistrust of us, though some might. It's remarkable, in a way, that you've managed to tolerate living among us."

"It hasn't been easy," Sancha admitted. "But time has helped. I won't lie and say I don't feel angry at what's come of my homeland, or that I don't think you could have tried harder to help us. But though I once thought of you as demons without hearts who killed a king and starved his people, that isn't the case now. I've learned a lot since I came here."

"You certainly have," Olvan said. "You are wise beyond your years, Sancha. It may serve you well in the future."

Sancha, in spite of herself, felt her cheeks warm and her face turn pale pink. 

"But still," she stated. "I want to help, but I don't know if I can."

"With the right tools and guidance, I believe you could be a force to be reckoned with," Lenori stated.

"It wouldn't be the first time," Olvan said, his eyes seeming distant, as if recalling something. Lenori noticed it too.

"How much do you know of your family history, Sancha?" Olvan asked out of the blue.

Sancha was startled at the unexpected change of subject.

"A good deal, I should think," Sancha replied. "It was one of the things my tudor pressed into me and my siblings from a young age. I could tell you every king who's ruled after Feliandor, and a few before that. And their consorts too. Why?"

Olvan shared a conspiratorial look with Lenori, who seemed to be asking a silent question. It seemed to Sancha to be along the lines of 'Are you sure about this?' To which Olvan gave an almost imperceptible nod.

"I think," the bearded Greencloak said, "that there's something you ought to see. It may change a great deal of what you thought."