64| Road Trips, Sexting, & the Music Police

Start from the beginning

I rolled my eyes before putting on my sunglasses. "Maybe it is our fault, but I can't say I regret it. I've never been happier." 

As if on cue, my cell phone vibrated in my lap. It was a text. 

Nathan: Hey, gorgeous. You girls on your way? 

"Put on some tunes!" Lanie hollered from the back seat. "You can't sit passenger seat if you can't be the DJ, Karma. We talked about this."

"Fine, fine. Here you go." I grabbed one of the freshly burned CDs that had ROAD TRIP MIX written in Sharpie across the top. Once Fall Out Boy's Thnks fr th Mmrs came blaring through the speakers, I was able to text Nathan my reply. 

Me: Yes. We left a few minutes ago. I'm really going to miss you this weekend. 

Me: I don't like not being there for your birthday. 

Nathan: I know, baby. I promise I don't mind and we won't do anything until you get back.

Nathan: I want you to have fun. You deserve it.

Reaching into the snack bag, I grabbed the Doritos and opened them. Of course, as soon as Lanie saw me, she demanded I pass some back to her. Once I took some out for myself, I handed her the bag and typed Nathan another message. 

Me: I think you would have felt differently about waiting to celebrate your birthday if you knew what I had planned for us. 

Nathan: Is that so? Please, gorgeous, tell me what you had in mind.

Me: I can't do that. It'll ruin the surprise. 

Harper's voice drew my attention from my cell phone. "Hey, Lanie, can you pass me one of the bottled waters?"

"Sure." Lanie reached into the cooler to grab a water and handed it to Harper. "Okay, Karma, next song! Make it a good one." 

I chuckled at Lanie before hitting the next button on the CD player a few times until it got to track five. It was a song I knew Lanie loved. That's why I put it on the CD when I burned it. "This one's for you, L." 

When Who Knew by PINK came on the radio, Lanie squealed with excitement and started singing along to the song. The song was a little over three minutes so at least I would have a little time to text Nathan before I heard from the Music Police in the back seat. 

Nathan: Come on baby. Please tell me. Give me a hint. 

Me: Well...it involves me. And you. In a hot tub.

Nathan: A hot tub? Is this going to be like that night at the beach in Florida? As I recall, you looked very sexy in that bikini.

Me: This won't be exactly like that night. If I recall, we weren't in a relationship then. I wouldn't even let you kiss me.

The song ended and the next one started right away. It was The Great Escape by BOYS LIKE GIRLS. And even though it was one we all liked, clearly it wasn't what a certain best friend wanted to hear. 

"Come on, Karma. Stop sexting your boyfriend and change the song!" 

"Okay, first off, let me remind you that's your brother you're talking about. And second, if I knew you were going to be so picky about the music, I wouldn't have even played you in Rock, Paper, Scissors for riding shotgun.