006

They had gone back to the table as another transit officer stood near them. They looked at the transit officer talking to the woman who was apparently a witness. 

"I can use charmspeak to get us out of this?" Evelyn offered.

Percy turned to her, "What's charmspeak?"

Annabeth explained, "It's a type of hypnosis, and it makes people do whatever Eve wants. It's a rare ability that Aphrodite gave her as a blessing." Annabeth turned to Eve, "And don't use it yet. We don't know who the monster is." They looked back at the officer and the woman. 

"So we're just killing time 'till we find out that guy's, like a werewolf or something, right?" Percy asked.

Annabeth turned back around, "I don't think he's a monster." Annabeth whispered. 

"Hard to say," Grover said.

Percy sent them a look. "Well, if he's not a monster, what's going on here? Why would anyone tear our room apart"

"I think it's the lady, why would she make up that whole story about us?" Evelyn added.

"Maybe someone was looking for something and the lady helped them?" Grover suggested. 

"We don't have anything," Percy stated. 

"The people who think you stole Zeus's master bolt might disagree," Annabeth told him.

"Right," He muttered. 

"Well, they're not gonna find something that we don't have," Evelyn said with a sigh, fiddling with the ring on her middle finger.

"Either way, we aren't spending the day answering questions in the St. Louis police station. Annabeth whispered to them. "We need to get out of this before we get delayed"

"I already said, I can get us out of this if I just-" Evelyn got cut off by a woman tapping Percy's shoulder, which caused them all to look back. 

"Do you mind if I sit?" She asked as the kids shared cautious glances. The  woman placed her pet down on another table and moved to where Percy and Evelyn were sitting.

Evelyn moved as far to the window as she could, and Percy moved closer to her to give the woman some space.

"You poor dears," The woman said kindly before she sat down. "Your parents aren't here, are they?" She looked at her bag which seemed to have a dog in it. "Isn't that right, precious? Don't children get scared when they're all alone?" She looked back at them. "It's okay. I'm a mom. I know how scared you must be."

The woman had a sweet smile on her face, Evelyn knew it was fake and was worried about what she would do.

The woman turned to the officer near them. "Excuse me. Would you mind giving us a little space? I think..." She gestured to the kids. "I think you're making them a little nervous."

The transit officer then walked off and she turned back to them, "I want you to know... I don't think that you made that mess back there. I just wanted a moment alone with you. There are some things I need you to understand-"

"You have something on your jacket," Grover interrupted her, his eyes on her blazer. "It looks like... it looks like glass. No one smashed the windows from inside our cabin. Someone smashed them in from the outside."

"Hm," She replied, her smile wasn't as wide as before.

Suddenly the pet inside the carrier started to growl and make noises. She crouched down to the other seat. "Yes, sweetheart. I know, I know." She got closer. "You're impatient. Oh. But we're almost there."