33. Challengers (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

Isagi's eyes were narrowed with concentration, processing the movements of his teammates and enemies while trying to keep track of Bachira. His opponent had slowed down as they neared each other, using crazy fast scissor movements to try and throw him off.

Bachira attempted a fake step while Isagi should've been disoriented, but it didn't work. As he dashed out to one side, Isagi kept up, brain working overtime to try and process Bachira's movements. I've improved so much, Bachira. That doesn't work on me anymore.

Isagi grinned as Bachira hesitated for a moment. "What's wrong? Try and get past me." He was so much more confident now - with Barou, Nagi, and Chigiri, and his improved eyes and brain, it was definitely possible to beat Team Red.

He's going to take a risk- Pretty much as soon as Isagi had thought it, Bachira sprinted down his left side, going in front of Rin to try and get through the gap in between Nagi and him.

Barou came from the wing, having left his position next to Y/N to trap Bachira. He attempted to steal the ball, but Bachira turned, facing away from Barou to prevent it.

That meant his eyes weren't on Isagi, for a good few seconds. Isagi read the field. Rin wasn't in a good place to receive, blocked off by Barou. If Bachira held onto the ball, Nagi would come swooping in as well. Y/N was too far.

Isagi left the tight group of players, sprinting towards Aryu.

Bachira, squished between Barou and Nagi, hit a hasty pass out towards the tall boy. But before it could get there, Isagi had intercepted it, chest swelling with confidence and pride at his read.

Y/N's eyes widened momentarily, and he hummed with delight. "That's new."

All the way to the other wing, Isagi hit a long ball to Nagi. Rin was nearby, positioning himself in a good area to prevent Nagi's first touch magic, but the white-haired boy didn't even try. He used his toe to poke it back into the middle of the field, where Chigiri was sprinting.

Both Rin and Aryu tried to intercept the ball, but were too slow. Chigiri burst in between them, rocketing past Team Red's defence. The goalkeeper came out, but Chigiri slammed it past it, into the top corner of the goal.

"They've improved..." Y/N tilted his head with interest, watching as Nagi and Chigiri high-fived.

"Y/N!" Bachira came bounding over, grinning. "Are they still too boring for you to play? Everyone is much better now!"

Y/N laughed. "Yeah, they've improved. But..." He retrieved the ball from the back of the goal, ignoring the Bluelock Man hologram. "They're still a little underdeveloped."

He began walking to the centre of the pitch, ball in hand as Bachira doggedly followed behind him. "Really? To me, they looked pretty good."

Y/N shook his head. "They still have a long way to go. Their bodies aren't trained to allow them to use their weapons properly, their strategies and game plans are nonexistent, and their creativity and unique play styles aren't different enough."

He placed the ball on the floor, waiting patiently as Team White formed up on the other side of the pitch. They kept the same formation. "On top of that, their movements are inefficient, wasting both time, energy, and space. But hey... they'll improve."

Y/N stood over the ball. He swung his leg forwards, tapping the ball to signal he'd restarted the game.

Yet, he didn't even move. He stood there, foot on the ball as everyone else stared at him in confusion. Bachira sidled up to him. "What are you doing?"

"It's thirty five metres to the goal, right?"

"We weren't told any dimensions..."

"I'm just guessing." Y/N took a step back, before he became a blur of movement. He planted his foot next to the ball, knee bending as he swung his other foot around.