Chapter thirteen

Week 15

-Niall POV-

Next week is it. It's when the doctor finds out what we're having. I know I want to wait until a couple of weeks until Marley and I find out but lately I've been wanting to know. I don't know how I'll survive for another three weeks..

"So next week's it huh" Greg says as we sit down in the restaurant. "Yes it is" I say. "Are you having any regrets on when you find out the sex?" He asks me. "I feel some regret only because I'm getting anxious and excited. But I know what Marley and I decided to do was good because it's only in a few weeks" I shrug, looking at the menu for something.

"That's how I was with Theo. I wanted to wait until the delivery day but a part of me wanted to know the second we got the chance to. But Niall, it'll be worth it in the end" he says. "I know it will. I just still can't believe that I'm going to be a father" I say.

"I know, my baby brother is gonna be a daddy" he says, adding a bit of a tease at the end. "Hush it you" I say, trying not to laugh. "I can't wait for you to have this baby Niall because then you'll finally get my dad jokes and stories!" He says. "Will I now?" I chuckle. "Yep, from the first time the baby pees or poops on you to when they say their first words. I got it all for you bud" he says, taking a sip from his drink.

"Listen, I have a question" I say, setting a serious tone. "Anything" he says. "When did you start feeling like a father" I ask kind of shyly. "Have you not felt like you are one yet" he asks. I nod sheepishly and he smiles. "Niall, it's okay if you don't feel that way now. I didn't until Denise had Theo. It'll come to you, I promise" he says.

"But what am I supposed to feel? And when is the time to really feel it?" I ask. "We're all different Niall. I can't tell you how to feel when your child is born. But I can tell you what I felt" he explains. "I felt it the moment I first held Theo. I felt the sense of pride and responsibility. Like everything in my life has led up and prepared me for this moment. That's when I knew that I was always meant to be a father. I don't know if you'll feel the same, but trust me it comes to you" he says.

"So you felt like a father when Theo was born? Do you think that's when I'll feel that way?" I ask. "You may, a lot of the dad's I've talked to had similar times. But you could've already felt it and not realized it or you'll feel it anywhere from now to when that baby is born" he says. His words ring in my ears for a while as we continued our conversation.

"How's Marley been?" He asks. "Good, she's happy that the first trimester is over" I say. "I bet she is. That's literally going through hell for a woman. Denise had a horrible first trimester with this last pregnancy. I truly felt bad for her" he says. "Yeah the first few weeks for Mar was just as bad as it seems. She had late nights and/or early mornings of morning sickness and her energy levels were so messed up she couldn't keep up mentally with her body" I say, remembering back to those times.

"When you two have this one, do you think you'll have another baby?" He asks, causing me to stop my actions. "Uhm, I don't know. I would like to yes, it sounds like a good idea to have another baby. But it's up to Marley. My concern is her health and if she can handle another baby then I'm all for it. But if she can't then I'll understand" I say. "Plus there are other options" I add.

"What do you mean 'handle another baby'? Did something go wrong with this one?" He asks. "Marley had a hard time getting pregnant. We tried for a while and nothing seemed to work. Our doctor said she has a low ovary count so of course it would be harder for her to conceive" I explain.

"Oh that's not good. I'm glad she did get pregnant now instead of having to result in other options" he says. "Me too. I worried about her for a while when we were trying. She wanted to get pregnant so bad but couldn't so easily. It hurts seeing someone you love and care about deeply hurt" I say. "It is. Well, good luck to you baby brother. I'll see you in a few weeks at the party" he says as we were leaving the restaurant.

"Thanks, and yeah I'll see you then if not sooner" I say, waving goodbye. I jump into my car and drive back home to Marley.

"Babe, I'm home!" I yell as I enter the house. "In the bathroom!" She yells from upstairs. I run up and go through our bedroom to where she was. I found her lying in the bathtub with bubbles all around her and some candles lit with the lights off.

"What do we have in here?" I ask, looking at the scenery. "Hey babe" she smiles, reaching up for my hands. "How was your day?" I ask, sitting on the ground next to the tub. "Exhausting. I was craving hot wings all day and my feet and legs were killing me" she sighs, leaning her head against the tub.

"I'm sorry to hear that sweetie. Did you have any hot wings?" I ask. "Yes, and that was a mistake" she chuckles. "Were you dying from eating them?" I ask, knowing how much she hates spicy food. "Well I was craving spicy hot wings" she says, cringing at the memory.

"Oh I'm sure you had a fun date with the toilet then" I laugh. "Yes I did. But the baby liked it so I'm trying not to complain" she says, emphasizing the word 'trying'. "So it's my child then" I chuckle. "Oh yes, this is your child alright Horan" she says.

"Mind if I join you?" I ask, looking around in the tub. "Sure, just don't make too much of a hassle getting in" she says, closing her eyes. I strip my clothes and squeeze into the amount of space left behind her in the bath. "How was lunch with Greg?" She asks, playing with our hands. "Good, we had father talks and war stories of being a dad" I say.

"What did he tell you" she asks. "Just that he can't wait until I have this baby so he can tell me stories of being a father and some jokes about it" I say, repeating what he told me. "Really? That's hilarious" she laughs. "Marley, are you anxious at all to see what we're having?" I ask, looking down at her.

"Yes, part of me wants to continue with our decision but another part wants me to find out as soon as possible" she says. "Do you feel the same way?" She asks, turning around to look at me. "I do. We are such bad people" I say, not being able to contain my guilty smile. "We are, oh my gosh" she smiles. "We can wait, it's only three weeks" I say, rubbing her arms. "Yes, three agonizing weeks" she sighs.

----------------------------
Week 16

"So the baby is the size of an avocado now" Dr. Sanchez smiles at us. "Man, this baby's growing fast! Stop growing in there!" Marley says to her stomach. Dr. Sanchez and I both laugh at her and I squeeze Marley's hand.

"Oh, did you guys see that?" Dr. Sanchez asks us. "No, what is it?" Marley asks, panic in her voice. "Your baby moved! Look when I move the camera over here" she says, moving the machine across Marley's bump. I watch as the figure's little legs moved when the camera went over it.

"Why can't I feel it yet?" Marley asks. "Our monitors can detect when the baby moves but right now it's not strong enough to have you feel it. This baby's been kicking since probably week 8 but you just haven't felt it yet. Especially for a first mother like you" she adds.

"Why especially for a first mother like me?" Marley asks. "Because your body isn't used to this type of thing, but if you had a second child the you would feel it a bit earlier. But right now your baby is just moving as he or she pleases without being noticed" Dr. Sanchez smiles.

"Do you have a guess when she'll feel it?" I ask. "For Marley I would say anytime from now until 25 weeks. That's typically the timeline a first mother feels the baby's kick" she explains. "So it could be next week that I feel them kick?" Marley asks. "Yes that could happen" Dr. Sanchez says.

"But I'm guessing you know what we find out today" she adds. "Yep, we're so excited!" Marley says. "Good! Now I'm going to go get the results and print out a copy for the chef, and then bring you two an ultrasound" she says before walking out of the room.

"Can you believe it, the chef's going to make the cake that has our baby's gender in it" I say, holding her hand. "I'm so nervous but excited. I just want to find out already!" She says, looking down at her belly. "You're making us very anxious little one! I can't wait to find out if you're a girl or a boy" I say to her stomach.

We pack up our stuff and schedule another appointment before we fly out to London.