33- "Why need brain cells when i have money?"

Once the sorting was complete and Daphne Greengrass had finished gushing over her sister who had been newly sorted into Slytherin, Professor Dumbledore stood up and captivated the hall's attention for his yearly speech.

"Welcome! Welcome to another year
at Hogwarts. Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled
by our excellent feast. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

A round of applause followed quickly afterwards, and during which Draco muttered,

"Reckon he'll last longer than a year?"

"Depends," Cassie said back, "if he's actually a decent teacher!"

"He does look scrubby though. It's as if he's just been dragged through a hedge backwards and got caught on a thorn or two," Blaise narrowed his eyebrows in disgust.

"Blaise Zabini just because you're a rich arsehole with more money then brain cells doesn't mean you can judge," scolded Pansy.

"Hey!" Blaise protested. "Why do I need brain cells if I've got money already?"

As the clapping died down, Dumbledore continued.

"Yes, good luck, professor. Our Care of Magical Creatures teacher has decided to retire in order to spend more time
with his remaining limbs. Fortunately,
I'm delighted to announce that his place will be taken by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid."

At this a loud wave of cheer came from the Gryffindor table.

"Him? That oaf?" Draco exclaimed, dumbstruck.

"He can't teach, surely. Is he even qualified?" Cassie asked in outrage.

"Is he even human?" Draco scoffed.

"That's a good question actually. I hope he is because otherwise he might just be teaching us to secretly brainwash us and convince us to become his species-" Laurie began to ramble but was stopped by giggles from the table.

"He could probably convince you of that Laurie mate," Mattheo said, the defining line of his jaw widening as he smirked.

"A word of caution:" Dumbledore continued. "dementors are vicious creatures. They will not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore I must warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. It's not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving. But you know happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, when one only remembers to turn on the light."

"Inspirational," Cassie mocked in awe, clapping along with the rest of the hall.

"That's gonna be my quote for when I leave hogwarts," Blaise declared.

"Mattheo are you okay now?" Laurie asked concerningly.

As Mattheo lowered his gaze and shifted in his seat, Pansy spoke.

"Did you lot hear that Potter fainted too?"

At this they all shot up in their seats, Mattheo also glancing up.

Draco laughed out in disbelief. "No way."

"Yeah it's true. I heard Hannah Abbot talking about it before the performance started. She was sitting in the compartment next door and saw him sprawled out across the floor." She continued, swigging from her goblet.

At this, Draco turned around and hissed out to Potter and his friends, who were sitting a bit further on from them on the on the opposite table.

"Potter," he spat, "Oi Potter! Is is true you fainted? I mean actually fainted?" He expressed in mock concern.

"Shove off Malfoy," Weaselby sneered at Draco.

"Keep your large nose to yourself," Granger scoffed.

As the Gryffindors turned around and started muttering between them, Cassie realised that Draco's cheeked were tinged a light pinkness.

Was he- blushing?

"Just saying if anyone of you lot tells someone that I fainted too," Mattheo said quietly to them all, "you will regret it. Looking at you Laurie,"

"Hey! Why's everyone being mean to me today?" Laurie complained, and Pansy wrapped her arm round his shoulder sympathetically.

"You know we won't tell, M. First rule of Slytherin: your House is your family. Family stands together." Cassie reassured him.

_____

"Wolfsbane," Blaise said to the Serpent door.

The door swung open to reveal a low-ceilinged, long, dungeon-like room with rough stone walls and ceiling. The room was dimly illuminated by the soft glow of greenish lamps and a small fire flickering at the end of the room. The ambiance seemed to hold a pledge of secrecy, as if it was encouraged and accepted.

The chamber exuded an opulent aura with its deep green ambiance, exuding an air of grandeur. The room evoked a palpable sense of significance, as if once you were in it, you were in the presence of greatness.

To Cassie it was home.

Laurie immediately rushed passed them all and collapsed into the deep green plush armchair by the fireplace in their usual spot that they normally considered their claimed territory.

Everyone was too tired to stay in the common room and talk, so they bid each other good night before descending up into their dormitories.

Cassie and Pansy arrived into their room to find their beds neatly made and their trunks laying atop them.

Their fellow roommates Isobelle Arnault, Jasmin Zhuang and Daphne Greengrass had already changed into their pyjamas, and were all packing their clothes way into their wardrobes.

Once Cassie was freshly showered and curled up beneath the familiar sheets of her bed, she couldn't help but feel at home again.

_____

I know this is a short one but I wanted to end it on this! The next few chapters Im gonna try and speed the plot up a bit and not get carried away writing small things (I probs will anyway though)

Also it's been a while since I've last posted because I've literally had no time. There were like two weeks that I didn't have a day off from sport and it drained me so much😭

Also just been diagnosed with a chest infection and haven't been at school so that's the main reason I've actually been able to post.

Hope you all enjoy the chapter!