ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ x

The jealous are troublesome to others, but a torment to themselves.

William Penn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that morning, Nigar Kalfa was leading the newer girls of the harem to their classes on etiquette, history, language, and musical skills, so they could please either the Sultan or their future husbands. Among them was Hürrem as she was in the back of the line as they exited their quarters. Mahidevran came around the corner with Gülşah and another concubine behind her with a smirk on her face. As Nigar and some of the concubines curtseyed to the sultana, Gülşah caught sight of the redhead who could challenge her mistress.

"Alexandra!" The maid called out as she didn't bow to the sultana, not using the woman's new name. "Who is the teacher of this Russian concubine?" Nigar stopped the redhead by grabbing her arm and giving her a look to behave. "She is to be taught some respect and manners."

The Kalfa whispered some words to the concubine, who turned around with a defiant look in her eyes. Coming toward the sultana who had her head held high, she clasped her hands in front of her and mockingly curtseyed to the sultana while bowing her head. Mahidevran didn't say anything as she looked over the woman in disgust.

"Make way for Haseki Zeynep Sultan, Şehzade Hakan, and Emine Sultan!" An agha called out, gaining the attention of the five women.

Footsteps could be heard as the women glanced over to the other side of the room to see the Haseki walking toward them holding the hands of her twins as she smiled down at them. Miray followed behind her as Zehra stayed back with Kadir in her rooms, as she didn't feel he was ready to be around others yet. Nigar Kalfa bowed with more reverence to the Haseki than the other women in the Sultan's harem.

"Sultana," the Kalfa greeted the powerful woman.

"Nigar Kalfa," the Sultan's wife smiled. "How are the new girls doing in their classes? Are they acclimating to the harem?"

"They are doing well, Sultana. Other than a few girls, the rest are getting used to their new surroundings," the other woman answered. "They will be most happy that you are asking after them."

Seeing the remaining Hatun in a curtsey being ignored by Mahidevran in her pettiness, she called out, "Hürrem." Surprised but bitter, the redhead turned away from the increasingly angry sultana toward the Haseki. "Go to your classes, you still have much to learn. Nigar Kalfa, please escort her."

"Yes, Sultana," Hürrem and Nigar said before leaving.

As soon as they were out of sight, Zeynep turned toward the other sultana, "Mahidevran, stop this nonsense. You are pregnant. Instead of picking fights with other concubines, focus on preserving your baby. Any stress can affect the baby. Go back to your chambers and calm down."

Knowing she couldn't argue with the more powerful sultana, the woman curtseyed before storming away with her two maids. Continuing on her way to the gardens, the Haseki knew her two eldest were there with their father after being escorted by their aunt, Hatice. Burcu came back after getting dismissed by the sultana and explained this to her.

Walking out into the gardens, the adults walked leisurely through the grounds while the twins ran ahead playing, but always in sight of their mother. As they progressed further, they ran into some of the janissaries, as this group was the Sultan's guards. They would turn their backs on the group of women and children, knowing they couldn't look upon the Sultan's women.

Soon they came upon the open area of the gardens, and Zeynep spied her children to the right of Ibrahim and Hatice talking while Suleiman played mangala with Mustafa. Walking toward them, the group of four noticed her come closer with the twins. Ibrahim, Dilara, and Ahmed bowed to her, while Hatice smiled at her sister-in-law and her little niece and nephew.