ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴠɪɪ

My darling, I have much to say

Where o precious one shall I begin ?

All that is in you is princely

O you who makes of my words through their meaning

Cocoons of silk

These are my songs and this is me

This short book contains us

Tomorrow when I return its pages

A lamp will lament

A bed will sing

Its letters from longing will turn green

Its commas be on the verge of flight

Do not say: why did this youth

Speak of me to the winding road and the stream

The almond tree and the tulip

So that the world escorts me wherever I go ?

Why did he sing these songs ?

Now there is no star

That is not perfumed with my fragrance

Tomorrow people will see me in his verse

A mouth the taste of wine, close-cropped hair

Ignore what people say

You will be great only through my great love

What would the world have been if we had not been

If your eyes had not been, what would the world have been?

Nizar Qabbani, A Brief Love Letter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ibrahim, what do the merchants think of our decisions?" Suleiman asked his old friend during the meeting with the Grand Vizier. They were in the Sultan's divan discussing various matters of the state. "What do they expect from me?"

With a bow, the concierge said, "Your Majesty, there is great faith on the street. They expect new campaigns. The bazaar is active, the merchants are happy. Only, we cannot compete with the prices of the Venetian goods. We sell one and earn five while they earn twenty. They say it will be fair if the taxes are lowered for subjects and raised for foreigners."

The Sultan nodded his head, "That will be done soon. Piri Pasha?"

The older male answered, "Your Majesty, I personally conveyed your command to the Venetian ambassador. I'm sure we will hear him whining soon."

The doors to the room open to admit Ahmet Pasha inside holding a scroll in his hands. Walking until he was across the Sultan, he bowed and spoke, "Your Majesty. Good news has arrived." He held out the scroll in his hands, "Ferhat Pasha has taken the traitor Canberdi Gazali's head in Damascus." A smile crossed the Sultan's face as he stood up from the throne. "The rebellion has been crushed. Victory is ours. Peace and order have been established. Our glorious army awaits your command to return."