ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴠ

I do not resemble your other lovers, my lady

should another give you a cloud

I give you rain

Should he give you a lantern, I

will give you the moon

Should he give you a branch

I will give you the trees

And if another gives you a ship

I shall give you the journey.

Nizar Qabbani, Love Compared

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was Friday, the day the Sultan and his sons would visit the Hagia Sophia to pray. This would be the first time his sons would go since his ascension to the throne. Ahmed, Mustafa, and Hakim were to go as his eldest sons while Kadir stayed with his mother. Dilara went on to her studies while they were gone, excelling in mathematics and history as usual. Emine stayed with her mother and helped entertain her newborn brother, much to the amusement of the other women in the room. Zeynep had to stay in bed for a couple of weeks to recuperate after the tough delivery of her son. Dressed in a simple pink floral kaftan dress with her veil on, she lay next to her son and read the Quran, constantly praying for protection for her new child. Since he was a month early, she worried that he might get sick more easily than other babies and was cautious of who she let near the newborn.

 Since he was a month early, she worried that he might get sick more easily than other babies and was cautious of who she let near the newborn

And from what Defne reported, she'll need to be more careful of Alexandra from now on. The Ruthenian slave didn't appreciate her giving birth during her night with the Sultan, not that she could control that. She orders her loyal maid to watch for the girl and hopes she doesn't do something drastic. Burcu was with Dilara keeping an eye on her eldest girl, which left Miray and Zehra as the only maids she could call on. By late morning, Emine had fallen asleep tired from playing with her new brother and the other maids. She lay next to her brother curled up next to her mother. Putting the Quran down and taking the veil off, she settled down to sleep as well and closed her eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Down in the harem, Defne watched the sour look on Alexandra's face as she sat next to Maria. She noticed the brunette girl was bugging the redhead for details of her night with the Sultan, much to Alex's frustration. The blonde hatun smirked at the look on the other woman's face, finding amusement in the situation her mistress put the girl in. If the baby hadn't come, the redhead probably would have spent Thursday night with the Sultan as well.

"Tell me," Maria urged her, causing the redhead to smile at the brief night she had with him. "Come on."

"So strong," Alex told her with a smile and glanced over at her. "And so handsome."