ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ xᴠɪɪ

There are hunters, and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience, and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.

Jim Mattis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After spending some time in the Harem with the girls, Zeynep and her younger children returned to her chamber to wait for the hakime to confirm her suspicions. She believed she was pregnant as she had been late for the past couple of months, but she wanted to make sure before she announced it. Looking at Emine, Hakan, and Kadir, she couldn't help the soft feeling she had as she brushed her hand over her belly. She hoped she was pregnant again, she loved the feeling of carrying her children. Felt every flutter and kick they gave to show they were there.

A knock sounded from the doors and she called out, "Enter." The doors opened to let in one of the girls guarding her room, Aergul Hatun. The brunette woman was one of her spies who guarded Mahidevran's rooms. "Is the physician here?"

"Yes, my Sultan," she replied

"Yes, my Sultan," she replied. "Shall I send her in?"

"Please," Zeynep nodded before turning to her younger maids. "Miray, Zehra, can you take the twins to the other room? I think it's time for them to take a nap."

"Yes, Sultana," they replied with a curtsey before holding out hands to the twins.

Emine and Hakan ran over and kissed their mother's uninjured cheek before following the maids into the next room. A moment later, the chief physician walked into the room and curtseyed, "Sultana. What seems to be ailing you?"

"A suspicion, hakime," the Haseki told her from her spot on the couch. "I've been late for the past two months. I just want to make sure before I announce it."

"Of course, my Sultan," the older woman gestured to the bed. "If you would lay down, I'll be able to confirm it."

Nodding her head, she stood up from her seat and walked to her bed. Turning around, she sat down and took off her slippers before gently scooting back until her feet were at the end of the bed with her knees bent. Laying back, she stared up at the ceiling as the physician poked and prodded her nether regions to either confirm or deny her hope.

After a few moments, the hakime stood back and bowed her head. Straightening out her skirt, she sat up and scooted back to the end of the bed. Taking a deep breath, she looked at the older woman in anticipation, "Well, am I pregnant, hakime?"

"Mashallah, my Sultan. Congratulations, you are with child," the hakime smiled at the Haseki. "I would guess around two months now."

Unable to smile because of the wound on her cheek that was mostly closed but still healing, Zeynep Sultan looked over at Defne with tears in her eyes as she held her hand over her belly. Knowing what her mistress was thinking of, the blonde handmaiden went to the cabinet by the door and took out a pouch of gold.