Character for an Applyfic

Role: Impress me or I'm gone

A short excerpt from a poem of his: 'My heart has been encased by walls tall and strong, I built them with a blinding fervour. Day and night do I feverishly toil to reinforce them, and so day by day my life fades further.'

Name: Ezekiel Maverick

Nickname: He isn't particularly fond of nicknames, as he finds them to be somewhat infantilising and humiliating. They also remind him of the constant nursing and coddling he received as a child, due to being sickly and frail

Age: Twenty four

Gender: Male

Sexuality: He doesn't spare much thought on his sexuality, and he certainly has no interest in sexual relationships, and to be honest isn't particularly keen on a romantic relationship either. Ezekiel sees little worth in such relationships, and isn't fond of the idea of trusting a specific individual unconditionally. He might convey an inkling of interest in someone if they had the potential of offering him something such as knowledge or information

Faceclaim: Young James D'arcy (I've chosen photos which I think will explain why I chose James D'arcy. In the photos he appears as a confident, distinguished, sophisticated and intelligent young man, but his eyes are dark, troubled and brooding. That describes Ezekiel well)

Backup faceclaim: I can't think of one, and I think James D'arcy is unlikely to be taken by someone else

Voice description: He tends to speak in a soft yet articulate manner. Though when explaining something, or caught in excitement, he might speak more rapidly and accidentally trip over his words; a mistake he's always swift to amend/correct. When angered, his tone becomes sharp and cold as winter's frost, and his words stab like ice

Personality: Ezekiel is fixated upon attaining knowledge and information. This goal of his is second only to protecting his family and himself. At the moment, his family are the only individuals he truly loves and cherishes. At least, that's almost correct. He loves them all, except for his youngest brother. An ominous shadow lurks within his youngest brother, and Ezekiel is acutely aware of it, and of the danger it poses to not only himself but to others. Though he's loath to admit it, Ezekiel is actually unnerved by his youngest brother, but despite this, when he has the opportunity, he watches his youngest brother with the hope of gleaning information that could be useful in explaining why his brother behaves in such a manner. If he had the knowledge/know how, and the confidence that his efforts could reap success, he would try to reform his youngest brother.

Concerning his older brother, Ezekiel regards him with respect and admiration, acknowledging his brother's virtuous traits. He genuinely loves his older brother, and isn't averse to sharing some of his concerns with him, or of spending time with him. His older brother is one of the very few he explicitly trusts.

Ezekiel views his younger brother, 'this is all a game,' as somebody who needs to be protected from the world's harshness, because he assumes that 'this is all a game' never takes anything seriously and that this carefree, irresponsible attitude could jeopardize his, and others, safety. He does, however, love his younger brother dearly, and would do anything to protect him. Often he tries to advise 'this is all a game' and talk sense into him.

Ezekiel is intelligent, perceptive, and analytical. As a child he was sickly, and though this frailty diminished as he grew older, Ezekiel still believes that any display of physical inferiority could be taken advantage of by those who wished him misfortune. Already he had been the victim of an incident in his childhood which, to him, proved that physical weakness was a dangerous, dangerous detriment, and could risk the safety/health of his loved ones. He did not want to be perceived as weak and vulnerable, and he did not want to rely upon others. Ezekiel knew that he could never be as physically strong as most, and he thought that physical strength didn't last, and that it could so easily be taken away in the form of sickness or injury, so he decided that he would gain strength in another manner. If he wielded knowledge and information, then he'd be a difficult target.