𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫

04. Angry Grandmas & Dolphin Butts

Winter, circa 2007,Camp Half-blood

Winter, circa 2007,
Camp Half-blood.

━━━𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐖𝐄𝐈𝐑𝐃 about the new kid.

This, perhaps, wasn't the most normal thing to think about at 11 P.M when he couldn't sleep, but Percy believed it was a pressing matter that required thinking over even at the most ridiculous hour. Plus, it was either that or spending the rest of the night agonizing on whether his best friend--who fell off a cliff, clinging to a manticore's neck--was alive or not.

You could easily guess why he wisely chose to think about the former.

As far as Percy could tell, this Seth guy wasn't a bad person. Sure, he had some aggression issues and was kind of a dick with a severe case of potty mouth, but that wasn't anything to go crazy over. 

Percy was majorly put off by the fact that Seth could control shadows like how he could control water. Controlling water was one thing, but shadows? That was so weird, even by demigod standards. Because, how do you even make shadows tangible enough to actually grab hold of something? 

He got how that might've made sound like a hypocrite, because it wasn't that long ago when what he himself could do was labelled impossible, what Thalia herself could do, and this was the world of the gods. Crazier shit had happened. But he couldn't ignore how his demigod intuition screamed, 'DANGER! DANGER!' at him whenever Seth was in the same room as him, so that got him thinking that maybe he wasn't unnecessarily overthinking this.

Plus, there was whole Mr. D thing. When Percy first got to camp, or hell, when Thalia got resurrected by the golden fleece, Mr. D didn't particularly look like he gave a shit. That was his default reaction to most half-bloods and anything involving them, unless they gave him reason to be anything but. And somehow, Seth was only at camp for all of five minutes, and the god looked like wanted to smite him and save them all the trouble of having to deal with him.

What the hell was this 'other matter', anyway? 

His new water fountain gurgled away in the centre of the cabin. It was a gift from his dad, with a couple of drachmas shimmering at the bottom for calls. He had already talked to Tyson before dinner, and even then, he hadn't had the courage to tell him what actually happened to Annabeth  because he couldn't bear to see him sad. Now, he was stuck on whether to call his mom or the person who would most likely kill him if they ever found out about what went down at the school.

The point was, he had to tell someone about it, someone who hadn't been there but would also give a shit about Annabeth's disappearance or he would lose his mind.

He rolled off his bed and approached the fountain. The water was steaming, and all he had to do was toss a coin into the mist and he could talk to whoever.