𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞

05. Capture The What?

Winter, circa 2007,Camp Half-Blood

Winter, circa 2007,
Camp Half-Blood.

◈ ━━━━━━━ ◈

━━𝐒𝐄𝐓𝐇 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐀𝐋𝐖𝐀𝐘𝐒 𝐅𝐄𝐋𝐓 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 his entire life was one big joke, or one of those prank shows he occasionally saw on TV back when he was in the orphanage.

Sometimes, he expected someone to pop out from the bushes with a camera on their shoulder, laughing and pointing a him as they said, 'Ha ha! You've been punked!' and he would laugh along with them because, yeah, they got him pretty good.

For example, at this exact moment, he wanted it to be a joke or prank so bad so he wouldn't have to deal with this.

"Ah, shit," he cursed as stared helplessly at the sorry state his clothes were in. He was sitting half submerged in a stream somewhere he had no clue of, and a couple of feet away, a pair of girls stared at him as they giggled behind their palms. It took him a minute, but he recognised them as the water nymphs--Naiads, if he recalled correctly--he'd seen during Camille's tour yesterday when she sternly ordered him to steer clear of them if he even ever thought of hitting on them. He'd been offended at the implication that he would chase after the nymphs simply because they were known for being absurdly beautiful. Looking at them now, Seth could see why they warranted Camille's warning. 

They had been the ones to wake him up by splashing frigid water in his face earlier, and while he was grateful they did that, it was not an ideal thing to experience first thing in the morning when you're lost and confused.

"Shit, shit, shit, shit," He continued cursing as he struggled to stand up. It was winter for fucks sake, and he was in his pajamas, soaked in what might as well have been ice water from head toe. 

A blast of chilly wind blew past him and he shivered violently. He wrapped his arms around himself in an effort to protect himself from the cold.

He looked to the Naiads, who were still giggling at him. "He-hey," he called out, his teeth chattering ceaselessly. "Do-do you know where I am?"

The Naiads looked at each other, as if some kind of telepathic conversation was happening between them. One of them, with long, curly dark hair that had bits of shells in the strands, stepped forward and smiled coyly at him. "You're at the creek," she said as she twirled a lock of her hair with her left hand. "You were getting dangerously close to camp's borders. You would have been monster food if we didn't wake you up."

The Naiads looked at each other again and giggled even louder. Seth shivered once more, and it wasn't from the cold. He cast a nervous smile at the nymphs. "Ah. Is that so?" He replied. "Well, thanks for waking me up. Being monster food would've sucked."