Chapter 11. Saviour

Murtasim looked on as Meerab walked into the house. He was left alone in the gazebo, all by himself as he sat pondering upon his past choices. He wished, things were easier and he didn't have to prove himself.

The night engulfed the both of them.

Meerab walked up the stairs, each step a silent recollection of his embrace, his pleading. Her steps, finding their way to her room. Shutting the door behind her, her back rest on the door as her body dragged down, with a little bump she sat on the floor, her knees close to her chest.

Human emotions are so ambiguous. A part of you wants to let go, it goes with whatever makes you feel good. And then another part, ignited anger, frustration, and also a hint of insult.

She knew deep down that Murtasim wasn't just with her because she was the other woman. He did feel something for her for sure. There was a sense of shared sadness, their eyes had the same helplessness that everning when Anwar and Nazia had brought Faiyaz to get the both of them engaged. That ambush like situation was a lot to take in. The parentals had obviously thought that the children would be happy, they had been friends for so long. Aur ladka ladki sirf dost thodi hote hai?

His eyes full of hope this evening had made her feel as if someone had punched her hard on the chest. That is why it was so hard for her to resist his embrace. She let it be.

How was she going to face him the next morning when his face would again display helplessness?

———————————————————-

Meerab's last thought before she went off to sleep played right in front of her as she saw a stone faced Murtasim, staring at his cup of tea.

"In rishtedaro ko kush karte karte thak jaenge hum" Anila spoke as she placed a paratha on Waqas's plate and then looked at Murtasim, "Beta you need some more, you're not eating anything"

But there was no response. Meerab kept looking at him. She wanted to leap forward and hug him. Before Waqas could touch Murtasim's shoulder to bring him out of his trance. He cleared his throat, looked at Anila," I'm good chachi thank you"

"Anila, tumhare bhai ko abhi call karke bataya maine ki Meerab aur Faiyaz ki hum proper engagement ceremony rakhenge. Faiyaz bhi kal angoothi deke gaya hai. Aur Meerab ne bhi apni angoothi de di hai" Shukar hai man gaye ki humne sirf baat pakki kari thi mangni nai" Anila declared as she also pulled a chair next to Meerab and sat down and brushed her hand over Meerab's head and stroked it in an endearing manner. "Bechare meri Meerab ka dil bhi dukh raha hoga, dono bachpan se dost hai, I'm sure they were looking forward to it"

"Mama, please. Stop attributing your feelings onto me"

With that, Meerab took a paratha in her hand, rolling it in a foil "Excuse me" she said and walked off.

Murtasim had given up. With no energy left in his bones, he stayed. Almost stuck to his chair. Waqas and Anila occupied with planning what would be considered their official engagement ceremony.
_____________________________________

There was only so much Murtasim could take. And he had had, enough. He wanted to forget about everything. If Meerab had decided to go with Faiyaz and get married to him, there is nothing he could do, so he decided to distance himself.

After meeting Kazmi and Mahira at the firm. He left for Hyderabad. Meerab had stood in the lobby, hoping to get a chance to meet him, so he took the route behind the building, that opened to parking compound to make that trip of another 5 minutes around the building to reach where is car was parked.

Hyderabad and his frequent visits to the village was some what eventful. But mostly stressful.

He stood facing the vast expanse of his village land. The farm lands that was never ending thanks to his ancestors who had ensured stability and power for the Khans across generations.