Chapter 9. Legacy

A/N: Mention of drugs & Mature themes. Please read at your own discretion.

Murtasim drove past, his mind working, permutations and calculation gnawing his brain. If Zulfikar can plant those drugs in his own land under his nose and get him caught in this disgusting game.

His car accelerated through the empty road that was laid around the village with only vast fields on both sides, the darkness of the night blinding him, while lampposts at every mile, lighted the way for only some of the journey, and he would again have to rely on his vehicle's headlights.

He took a detour, as he chose a narrow lane to the left, leading to the borders of the village. Bhaktu would have already reached the location by now. He wanted to be sure, that lawyer he met was correct about the information. He  trusted no one. He wanted to find out on his own. His GPS wasn't working anymore. This was deep within the village.

His cellphone rang, "Khan, hum pohoch gaye hai, we are doing a perimeter check."

Murtasim hmm-ed. "Theek hai, mujhe thodi der aur lagegi, raasta kho na doon bas"

"Khan, it is the land next to the Haveli Anwar Sahab had once built for Nazia Begum"

That fact itself, took his brain in a spiral. This cannot be happening. That Haveli was placed at the centre of a vast land, only wild grasses surrounding it. It had been abandoned for over 20 years now. It had never been handed over to Nazia and had only been left right after its completion.

"Main pohoch raha hun" Murtasim spoke in a low tone and disconnected.

This couldn't be. No one had really gone to the Haveli ever. No one felt like. Money was never an issue, so it was left to rot in the open field. But the Haveli was made of red stone. Very dearly constructed by Anwar Khan. It was to be passed down to Faiyaz soon. Wait Faiyaz. Could he be visiting this Haveli?

He knew his way to Anwar's Haveli, so he drove, no wonder the road looked almost familiar. Upon reaching he saw Bhaktu and the men dressed in black to match the shade of the night, stood. The outline of their bodies and vehicle was apparent and visible as, Murtasim reached closer, his headlight making the scene visible. But he promptly turned it off and also switched of the ignition. The night was quiet. But they stayed quiet.

I had taken him almost 5 hours to reach the location. They quietly walked around, using the torch of their cellphones, reducing the intensity of the light to check the cultivation. The land was vast. Advocate Mahira was right. This would be almost 4 acre of land.

Whatever Zulfikar was doing was illegal and far worse than what he had planned. But why store another form of drugs in his land. And why not store it in the Haveli next to this land.

Anwar's Haveli was far off, for now, he could only make out the land and wild grass that swayed lightly with slight breeze. "Khan, hamare kothi main inhone cocaine chupaya tha, lekin ye to kuch aur lag rahe hai"

"Haan, they are cultivating opium here"

"Lekin hamare yaha chupane ka maqsad?"

"Isse chupane ke liye kiya hoga, aur kya"

"Khan lekin hum sabit kaise karenge"

After quietly inspecting the land for sometime, the group of men, headed towards their vehicles, and remained vigilant, waiting for dawn, to capture a glimpse of the far stretch of the land at the break of dawn. As the sky slowly broke in, the chirping of the birds, gaining the attention of the men, seated in their cars.

Bakhtu looked over the land with a binocular in his hand. "Khan kaafi badi zameen lag rahi hai" and handed over the binocular to Murtasim, as he continued to span his eyes across the land.