Chapter 4. Diminished Pride

6 months ago. Continued. 

Meerab sat at the back of the car with Mariam next to her. Her heart running wild, she was dreading having to go to the tournament. She despised half of the crowd that she had earlier met during some of the tea parties that Maa Begum had thrown in the Haveli. She hardly tolerated any of them or their archaic mentality of 'how women should be'.

Hypocritical she thought because most of the women were actually bosses in their households making life hell for the women living under them. But, when it comes to themselves, things would change, with power - their minds going haywire, treating people the way pleased, holding on to old customs, treating women as second class citizens in their own homes, sadly with them also being women.

She looked outside the window, the view began to change, with open fields around them, tents lining up in preparation at the club, the golf course set for the tournament. She did not want to meet him at all. I will ignore him. He will probably be busy preparing, won't be around the audience.

Taking a deep breath she stepped out of the car, the valet holding the door, giving away a polite smile as she glanced at him. She could hear Maa Begum taunt Mariam from behind. "Sir pe chadar lo, is Meerab se to hone se raha." She looked back and almost as if she wanted to challenge them, she walked ahead without putting any chador over her head, trying to catch up with her parents & Anwar khan. She reached up to them, but walked behind, close enough to listen to their conversation. A name that seemed familiar, Faiyaz. Oh yes, she read that on the invite too. Is it the same Faiyaz, they used to play together as kids?

Faiyaz was Nazia & Anwar's son. Nazia had separated & had shifted back to her maiden home taking Faiyaz with her. He used to seldom visit the Haveli, sadly Maa Begum disliked Faiyaz way more than she disliked Meerab, probably because of her torn relationship with Nazia.

Meerab was ecstatic at the thought of meeting Faiyaz after what seemed like a really long time. Walking by a stall to take a glass of lime soda, she held the paper straw with her finger tips as she sipped her drink. She heard a shot gun and an announcement. The tournament would begin soon.

Quiet funny she thought, these khans did not even give anyone a chance, there was literally a tournament being held between two first cousins and entire village and VIPs were invited. She scoffed.

Glancing around the ground, she saw Murtasim. There he was, in his well fitted white trouser, a navy blue polo shirt, a hat, his gloved hands holding his golf club, correcting stance as he eyed his aim taking drive and hitting a stroke. He seemed calm, as if he owned the place. Well he technically did. He moved his body casually as he finished his round, making way for Faiyaz to now hit his stokes.

Faiyaz was different, his smile was infectious, a boyish charm that everyone around seemed to like. Meerab too had a smile on her face, remembering he hadn't changed much, the way he walked, his stance & how he played his rounds, was so similar to how his demeanour seemed like a few years back and even as kids. She likedhis company more than she did anyone else's. Except Murtasim's only when she wanted to compete. He was a good competition.

The rounds went on. She lost count of them after a while. Bored to death. She understood nothing of the game and everyone around her was somehow dressed way more sophisticated than she had expected. The men wearing their three piece suits, with a cigar/ smoke in their hands, having serious conversations on how young men don't play polo or golf anymore. The women dressed in shades of pastel colours, their dupattas graceful adorning their heads, their makeup sober and soft, enough to highlight their features, and they spoke in such less volumes. Meerab found it difficult to eavesdrop.

Sitting right behind a row of ladies, she relaxed to the back of the seat, relishing in the moisture accumulating outside the glass because of the cold temperature of the drink. She brought her cool hands to her face to sooth herself off the heat. But she could now hear them speak