Kakume and Kurapika casted uneasy glances at one another, not quite knowing what to say to that. Finally, Kakume sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Ah, I see what you're doing. Planting discord within the troops, and all that. As I recall, it always was your favorite trick."

"Do you deny it, then?"

She said nothing, and neither did Kurapika. Tam smiled, feeling victory in his hands. "People often claim to hunger for truth, but seldom like the taste when it's served up". He hesitated, and then, sensing an opportunity, he struck. "I bet he doesn't even know about it, does he, Kakume? About the circumstances behind his people's massacre".

Kurapika perked up. "What are you talking about?", he asked, cautiously.

"Someone has been less than honest, here", Tam uttered, delighted. "Have you ever met the Phantom Troupe, Kurapika?", he began. Kurapika took a step forward and placed a fist on the glass, his eyes glowing scarlet.

"I'd be real careful about what you're about to say next", he threatened.

But Tam continued, nonplussed. "Kakume and I know them rather well, if I may say so. We've had them over at our house a dozen times or more. You might even call them family friends".

"I refuse to believe such an obvious lie".

"A lie, is it?", he taunted. Kakume's body was tense all over, a drop of sweat coursing down the side of her neck. "Say, why don't you tell him about that one time... remember, some 7-odd years ago, when you blabbered to them endlessly about the clan that sold you to the Kakin Empire? They found that tale quite engrossing, as I recall".

Kurapika looked at her, shocked. "Tell me this isn't true, Shuri". She averted his gaze.

"When you really think about it... their blood is on your hands, isn't it?", Tam finished.

Kakume snapped at him then. "Shut up, will you? How was I supposed to know what was going to happen? You're the one who sent those bloodhounds after the Kurta". She quieted and her eyes welled up. "But I... I do feel responsible for what happened..."

"Do you now? You feel responsible? You are responsible!"

Her stomach sank. "I admit, I've made some mistakes...", she started.

Tam swiftly interrupted him. "Then you should know you're making a big one now. The little pup will turn on you, surely you must sense that now".

She paused, suddenly remembering that the guilt trip was her father's specialty. Her brows knitted in the center of her face. "Okay, now this is beyond evil. You know what, Tam? I think I've had my fill of your helpful advice. You've officially forfeited your right to be a father to me... that particular ship sailed when you tried to kill me. Twice".

He lifted his hands up in mock surrender. "At ease, soldier. I'm just saying it how I see it". He smiled. "And I'm seeing an awful lot from just the merest glance at the two of you".

"Does he always talk that much?", Kurapika asked Kakume, in an annoyed tone.

"Always did love the sound of his own voice"

Tam redirected his attention to Kurapika, studying him closely. He was about to pull the cold readings, she could tell. "And what about you, then? You're Uvo's killer, I bet, judging from your reaction when I mentioned the Spiders. A dark avenger! Just how far into that rabbit hole are you willing to get into? Do you intend to pull Kakume into the vengeance gig, too? Is that the kind of future you want to give her? Doesn't that seem a little... selfish... to you? Imposing that kind of brutal life on another person". He shook his head. "Of course, more likely than not, this whole quest of yours is going to lead you to just die in a ditch somewhere. Not sure how my girl is going to take it... she's lost so much". Tam said that last part with a tone of mock pity. "Well, we've all gotta to die someday. It's the big dessert at the end of the meal."

But the sarcasm was lost on Kurapika. He looked down, shamed. "You're right. That isn't fair of me".

Kakume felt the grip on her barrier weaken - she was starting to feel mentally exhausted, and not just from the Nen use. Tam smiled sadly. "Ain't love grand?", he exclaimed derisively.

-

Shuri's father Tam had started on another psychologically manipulative monologue, when Kurapika noticed that Shuri had started to sway. He steadied her with both his hands. She took a round white pill from a little bottle she kept in the leather pouch attached to her belt, and chewed on it, and her forehead furrowed at the bitter taste. Her aura, which had been weakening gradually in the past few hours, flared up. Meanwhile, Tam was rummaging through Kurapika's papers, feet resting up on his desk, bored of waiting for Shuri's barrier to come down. She motioned to Kurapika, and he put his head close to hers so their talk could not be overheard.

"I can't hold it for much longer. The drug I took gave me a boost, but it's not meant for long-term endurance", she said. "We need to escape".

"Do you have a plan?", he answered, firm.

She paled. "I was kind of hoping you'd have one". Shuri gave Tam a furtive glance, and nervously chewed on her lip. "You're the one who's good at making them".

Kurapika gave her a shaky smile, attempting to muster an air of composure. "Alright", he said, looking around. His expression hardened. "If we both attack him at once, while he's distracted, then we will surely catch him off guard. The element of surprise might be enough to give us the chance to make a break for it, at least. High casualty risk, but we don't have any other option". Kakume nodded. The air grew still, crackling with tension.

"Now", Kurapika whispered. Kakume let the glass barrier fall and reshaped her blood into some sort of battering ram, forcefully slamming Tam against the bookshelf. At the same time, Kurapika wrapped his chains around said bookshelf and toppled it forward with a strong pull, making it collapse onto him. They raced to the exit, a blur of movement fueled by urgency. Behind them, Tam rose from the rubble and dusted his pants with both hands, decidedly in a foul mood.

"About time", he exhaled.

The Reason We Fightजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें