9. Potential Hero

Laura was in shock. A simple drive to the park had ended in horror when the weather took a sudden turn for the worst. Her baby, a small girl of only three, had been stuck in the booster seat. She'd raced from the front seat of the car to try and remove her as the clouds blew ominously closer.

A blur of white and light blue had rushed over. The next thing she knew, her daughter was out and being shoved into her arms before she was being pushed along from behind.

Then, she was shoved to the ground, her daughter's head tucked gently to her chest, Psykos splayed over the both of them to provide protection.

Tears sprung to Laura's eyes as the wind ripped at them, and she whispered soothing words of comfort as her daughter wailed in terror. She closed her eyes and held her daughter as close to her as she possibly could; tightening her hold, just waiting for it to pass.

Slow, controlled breaths moved in and out of her lungs as she calmed her racing heart, before the noise died down, and a sudden weight fell on her back.

Laura blinked for a second in confusion, before she realized what'd happened. The one who'd risked her life to save theirs had just collapsed on her back.

Her heart began racing anew and her mind matched, spinning with frantic thoughts. She kept completely still, and just listened. Yes, she was breathing, and if she paid attention, she could feel her heart beating against her back. She let out a relieved breath.

She decided to shift slightly, carefully trying to move her off, when she caught sight of it...the tornado was coming back.

At that moment, her heart went cold. She shifted and shook at her. She even elbowed her in the ribs. She only moaned.

"Hey!" she yelled. "Hey, wake up!"

She wriggled, trying to gain Her attention, and panic rose high in her throat, as the column of air rushed closer.

She judged the distance to the nearest safe area. 'Could they make it there...?'

From their current position, she concluded, no. They only had one choice.

Whacking her in the side again, tears began to pour from her eyes, and she heard her daughter wHerper, sobbing silently. She must be so confused…

As a last attempt, she reached beneath her and managed to pull out her water bottle from her black shoulder bag. Unwinding the lid, she awkwardly twisted so that the masked man's head was resting over her shoulder.

She stared back at the obscure, wide, insect-like lenses for a split second, before throwing some of the cold water over her head.

"WAKE UP!"

~~~

Psykos awoke with a jump, noise and chaos slowly coming to her through her hazy mind. That...that and the screaming of her high sense. She registered her position, registered the growing tornado speeding closer, the vague memories of the previous minutes trickling back into her mind.

She moved, and was immediately made aware of the exhausted, strained pain in her muscles, but she ignored it. Fighting against her instincts, she once again grabbed onto the ground and re-took her protective stance, taking in heaving breaths. She barely even noticed as a water bottle was shakily raised towards Her mouth. She lifted her chin slightly from the woman's shoulder.

~~~

She took in several long, deep gulps, thankfully, before it was removed, and she gritted her teeth, preparing herself to once again stand up to the powerful force. She couldn't help but wonder when, and if, it would all be over, and whether or not the three of them would survive the experience. It was a miracle they hadn't been hit by flying debris already, or the concrete hadn't been ripped up...