{one}

© 2015 by Nique Joaquin. All rights reserved.

[Warning: If you dislike cursing, you're gonna have one hell of a fücking time dealing with this book.]

------

Bang.

Another target hit. I sigh to myself. Training at 12 midnight during our pack's annual Full Moon Banquet is... pretty damn uneventful. But I hate crowds- and I hate meeting new people. I already knew the people I needed to know for my father's pack to be safe. Besides, I was only here until tomorrow, and then I'd be going back to my squadron.

Bang.

Headshot. I was using plain bullets at the moment. No need for fancy silver wolfsbane bullets when I'm just screwing around at the range. I checked on the cartridge of my gun. It was almost empty. The moonlight was beginning to hide behind the clouds, inevitably making it darker as midnight approached. I decided then that I might as well walk the patrol.

Just to make sure the area's safe, werewolves could never be too careful.

I'll be doing a few rounds. I mind-link my father, Alpha Stephen.

Alright, stay safe. Tell me if anything happens. He responds calmly.

I pull my wavy blonde hair into a high ponytail and reload my guns with wolfsbane bullets. With a gun secured on each hip, I began my first round. The Full Moon Banquet took place over by the waterfalls on my father's territory and I know that at least a few teens would take the chance to screw around in the more 'shady' areas. After all, most wolves like to take advantage of the oh-so romanticized Full Moon.

I had worn a military green turtleneck tank that hugged my chest and a pair of comfy black jeans that I'd paired with some heavy duty boots. I personally thought that I looked fairly bad-ass for someone who was turning 22 in 3 days. My twin brother, Ender, wanted to have our birthday celebrated tonight, he'd finally met his mate, Brianne, a couple days ago when we met up with a few other wolves for a counsel on border security.

Apparently, the infamous Macabre Pack was on the prowl and just last week, they were spotted near the borders of Red Raven- an ally of ours who lived close by. Stories about them vary from area to area. But what I do know, is that once when I was travelling around... I stumbled across the aftermath of one of their attacks... And the sight wasn't pretty.

The smell of death was left in every nook and cranny, so the name Macabre suited them pretty damn well. They leave everything broken, bloodied, and in absolute shambles.

Everything alright? My twin, Ender, asks through the mind-link.

Fine and dandy. Just keep having fun, brother. I responded. Ender was younger than me by 2 minutes and was going to become Alpha- mainly due to a few unexpected events, but it wasn't like I cared.

And let's just say I'm not exactly friendly material. Ender was at least on the more human and reasonable side of things. I tried to stay focused as I took my walk and just as I was about to get bored enough to start shooting trees, I heard the obvious voice of a teenaged pup giggling. I took a quick whiff of the air.

Damn it. I cursed in my mind. I sprinted for the river and mentally groaned when I spotted my younger sister, Celine, in the river with a guy I knew as Chad.

"Fun time's over lil sis." I announce as I walk out of the trees close to the edge of the river. I leaned casually against a nearby tree and watched as Celine's eyes widened and almost threatened to fall out of their sockets.