Starlight

Synopsis: Charlotte sneaks out to have a picnic with Engfa.

————————————-xx——————————-xx———————————

The knock startled me, jolting me out of the numb daze I'd been trapped in since Dad's drunken rampage earlier. I crept towards the window, heart pounding against my ribs, and peeked through the flimsy curtain. There, bathed in the soft glow of the streetlight, stood Engfa. My neighbor, my confidante, and the only person who knew the real me – the one hidden under the layers of bruises and forced smiles.

She was grinning, a mischievous glint in her eyes, holding a picnic basket aloft like a beacon of hope. "You thought I was kidding?" she whispered, her voice laced with amusement. "I really meant it when I said I'd take you out on a starlight picnic one of these nights, so grab a coat and follow me."

I stared at her, my mind struggling to catch up. Then, a hesitant smile tugged at the corners of my lips. I trust Engfa. She's my anchor, my lighthouse in the darkness. So I reached for my warmest jacket, the worn fabric offering a sliver of comfort.

As I slipped it on, I met Engfa's gaze through the window. Her eyes, usually filled with mischief, held a quiet understanding, a promise of escape.

With a silent prayer, I unlatched the window, the cool night air washing over me. Engfa's hand reached out, strong and warm, pulling me into the moonlit world.

As I stepped into the cool night air, Engfa enveloped me in a warm hug, her scent of jasmine and sunshine a stark contrast to the stale desperation clinging to me. She handed me the basket, its weight surprisingly reassuring.

"Where are we going?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper.

Engfa winked, her eyes sparkling like the stars peeking through the city haze. "Follow me, Charlotte. Tonight, we're chasing starlight."

And so we did. We navigated the labyrinthine streets of our neighborhood, the only sounds our hushed laughter and the distant thrum of the city. Engfa led me down the quiet street, the only sounds our hushed whispers and the rhythmic click of her sandals on the pavement.

We reached a clearing at the edge of the neighborhood, a small hill overlooking the sprawling city lights. Engfa spread out a blanket, its vibrant colors a stark contrast to the muted cityscape. She unpacked the picnic basket, revealing a feast fit for a queen:  sandwiches (Engfa knew my love for extra pickles), fresh fruit, and warm chocolate chip cookies, still soft from the oven.

As we ate, the city sprawled out before us like a glittering tapestry. Engfa pointed out constellations, weaving stories of mythical heroes and star-crossed lovers. Her voice, soft and soothing, washed away the pain, replacing it with a strange, unfamiliar lightness.

For the first time in weeks, I laughed, a genuine, belly-deep laugh that echoed through the night. Engfa laughed with me, her eyes crinkling at the corners, and for a fleeting moment, the weight of my world seemed to lift.

As we lay sprawled on the blanket, gazing at the star-studded sky, a feeling of calm settled over me. I wasn't sure what tomorrow would bring, but for tonight, I was safe. Safe in the haven Engfa had created, safe in the knowledge that I wasn't alone.

"Thank you," I whispered, my voice thick with emotion.

Engfa squeezed my hand gently. "Always, Charlotte. Always."

And under the vast, star-strewn sky, with the scent of honeysuckle in the air and the warmth of Engfa's hand in mine, I allowed myself to believe, for the first time in a long time, that maybe, just maybe, things could get better.

———————xx———————

(A/N:) not sure why my latest stories are all sad in one way or another, sorry about that 😅
In this one, Charlotte has an abusive father.