chapter 4.

"I've been waiting for you every day since you've been gone. "

"I have a son."

Fiona whispers to Anthony once the two finally find a way to talk alone, at the corner of that evening's Trowbridge ball.

His eyes widened. Fiona? A son?
She was not even wed!

Noticing his surprise, she took it upon herself to explain.

"Depression hit once we left, and I found some ways to enjoy myself, as I'm sure you'd understand."

He nodded.

Luckily, it was never something to be ashamed of in the Grey family, as long as you were discreet.

"I met a man, and, well, I became with child. I am fairly certain you do not require an explanation on how I became with child?"

He chuckled.

"No. Of course I do not."

Fiona smiled before continuing.

"His name is Anthony. After you."

His eyes lid up.

"Oh, Fi! I am honoured!"

Violet and mama spotted the two smiling ever so happily.

It brought tears to their eyes. Neither Anthony nor Fiona had been so happy since they had been children. When they would spend their days together.

The only time Violet saw her son so happy after the two had parted was at his wedding to his Viscountess, Kate.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I found myself gazing upon them as I swirled around from gentleman to gentleman.

It was exciting, sure. But I was not even slightly in the mood to dance.

"Is anything the matter, miss Grey?"

Mister Cowper, cousin to Cressida Cowper, asked.

His snobby smile made me want to gag.

He wasn't rude, in fact, it was a justified and considerate question, and so I forced a smile upon my face.

"It is nothing, Sir. It is just all so very exciting to be back in London, I have not had the time to truly get used to all those familiar faces."

T'was the best 'reason' I could come up with within merely seconds.

He did not answer.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"For the love of God, someone save her!"

Violet yelled at two- third of her bachelor sons, Benedict and Colin.

But before Benedict could even answer, Colin's hero instinct kicked in and he flew to my rescue.
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Mister Cowper,"

Colin said as he approached us, he had the same forced smile on his face as I.

It's not surprising considering WHO he was 'saving' me from.

"When will I get a chance with miss Grey?"

It was a simple question, but the way he worded it made it clear that he was not letting Cowper dance with me for even a single second more.

It was clear for mister Cowper as well, and so, I was now swinging around the ballroom with Colin.

I had last seen Colin when he was just a child, when I was just a child.

"Thank you, Colin."

He smiled, that well known- crooked Bridgerton smile that always makes all the debutantes swoon.

"Oh, please, you do not have to thank me. It was clear to all that you needed that rescue. Besides, my mama would have my head if I didn't."

He joked, making me scoff, a slight smile appearing on my face.

"I would've been able to handle it myself, I am not that pathetic."

I joked right back.

A swift rescue, indeed.