Chapter 11

"You have mine and Niklaus's number. Please call us if anything is amiss or if you need anything." Elijah offers. He was parked outside of Maggie's apartment building.

His jaw clenches as he watches Maggie undo her seatbelt. Niklaus had argued his case for not letting Maggie return to her home, but Elijah couldn't stop her from leaving.

"Thank you." Maggie mumbles, not moving to open the door. She did not want to leave this oddly safe bubble with Elijah only to return to her unwelcoming apartment. Also, there was a small part of her that didn't want to say goodbye yet. With Elijah near, she was certain there would be little chance of getting hurt or taken again. She lets a small yawn escape.

Maggie had slept surprisingly soundly last night, she suspected this to be mostly because of the extremely comfortable bed she had been in. The soft bedding and fluffy pillows had given her a feeling of comfort and luxury she hadn't experienced since her honeymoon.

Elijah had insisted on Maggie sleeping in his bed, pestering her until she had caved. She had argued not to be able to take his bed, leaving Niklaus and Elijah to fight over the couch, but Elijah had argued that they didn't need as much sleep due to their supernatural nature. This in turn had made Maggie feel even more guilty, but Niklaus had joined in and managed to wear her arguments down.

Saying goodbye to Niklaus had been awkward. He had looked as if he wanted to protest her departure, but a stern look from Elijah had stopped him. Niklaus had promised to see her again soon, and Maggie had experienced an unexplainable feeling of relief at this prospect.

"Can you please walk me upstairs?" Maggie asks, wishing to prolong their time together a little.

"I'm not certain I can." Elijah trails off, his mouth forming a thin line. Niklaus had entered Maggie's home after compelling Maggie's landlord. He wasn't certain if his mate's invitation would be enough. It was of course ridiculous, the idea of a simple boundary rule separating him from his mate.

Maggie frowns at the rejection before remembering what Alaric had told her about inviting vampires into one's home. "I am inviting you." Maggie offers at once.

Elijah nods. If he wasn't able to enter, he would find her landlord. This would also be a good opportunity to have a stern talk with the man about the safety of the apartment complex.

At once, he kills the engine, undoes his seatbelt, and gets out of the car to open Maggie's door for her.

Maggie grabs Elijah's waiting hand and lets herself get pulled out of the vehicle.

After crossing the street and successfully getting Elijah into the building, they silently climb the stairs.

"Before I forget," Elijah pulls something out of his coat and holds it out for his mate to take.

"What's this?" Maggie asks confusedly as she eyes the black card warily.

Elijah frowns. He was familiar with the sense of not being able to blend with a changed world after waking in a new century, but he had expected his mate to be familiar with the concept of modern-day methods of payment. "A credit card."

Maggie shakes her head in disbelief. "I know what it is- why are you handing it to me?"

"Kærasta, if it were up to me, you would not spend another night in this apartment, but I also understand if you are not yet willing to give it up. View this," Elijah waves the credit card a little, urging his mate to grab it. "As a way for me to provide for you, my mate."

After another pressing look from Elijah, Maggie reluctantly takes the card whilst silently vowing herself to carefully store it away so she would not be tempted to use it.