Chapter 8

Trigger warning (some more harassment and violence)

"Good evening."

Jules turns around, eyes shiftily searching the edge of the forest until she finds a tall imposing figure standing a few feet away. She tries to hide her surprise that it wasn't Stefan or Damon who had shown up. The man was tightly holding onto Tyler's neck. As far as she could tell, the teenager didn't look mistreated, and she was glad for it. She wouldn't have hesitated to harm Maggie if anything had happened to the young werewolf.

She straightens up, daring to make eye contact with the man who could only be the infamous Original, Maggie's soulmate. "You must be Elijah."

"You've heard of me." Elijah allows a small smile at the sound of the woman's increased heartbeat, eyes remaining narrowed. He had already noticed the presence of the other wolves, who were doing a marvelously bad job of trying to creep up on him.

Seeing Jules' anxious look, he releases Tyler's neck and with a small nod, encourages the boy to go to the woman.

Tyler steps unsurely to the woman who had kidnapped Maggie, uncertain if he was doing the right thing.

"I have returned Tyler in good health, now I expect the same of you. Where is Maggie?" Elijah's feigned calmness was wearing thin. He could smell his mate and the idea of almost having her in his clutches was driving him insane.

"Where's the moonstone?" Jules counters bravely after nudging Tyler toward the trailer.

Elijah chuckles humorlessly. "I have it here," He pulls the stone from his pocket, holding it up for Jules to see before pocketing it again. "Why don't you come and get it?"

• • •

"Tyler?" Maggie looks up when a familiar face enters the trailer.

"Maggie?" Tyler wasn't sure why he was surprised to see the woman. He knew Maggie had been taken, perhaps it was the condition she was currently in that confused him. Unlike him, Maggie hadn't been treated very nicely by her keepers. A dark bruise covered the side of her face, and her lip was split. Besides this, she looked worn down with exhaustion and worry.

Tyler was aware of Jules's aversion to vampires, but he hadn't believed her to be able to treat a human this poorly.

"Let me out, please. I can't help them." Maggie begs, fingers clutching the bars. She can't stop the tears from forming in her eyes. "They know about Emma, I need to go to her, please."

Tyler falters, unsure how to proceed. He takes a step toward her only to be halted by a heavy hand landing on his shoulder.

"I see you've managed to break her, good job." Brady grins when he sees Maggie's tear-streaked face.

Maggie ignores Brady and keeps her eyes locked on Tyler. "Please, I need to-"

"Shut up, or I will join you in there." Brady snaps, his head turning to glare at Maggie. Upon seeing the woman flinch, he turns to Tyler, his hand still resting on the boy's shoulder. "Stop hovering around her, Tyler." He warns whilst tugging him away from Maggie.

Tyler shakes Brady off and shoots the man an angry look.

Brady squares his shoulders and towers over the boy, silently intimidating the younger wolf.

Tyler scowls at Brady before taking a seat on the couch, looking defeated.

• • •

As soon as Elijah's challenge was uttered, the wolves of the Florida pack appeared, all glaring and trying their best to intimidate the Original, who looked almost bored with their presence.