Chapter 20: Lost (1)

Start from the beginning

'...! A golden feather... a proof of identity granted by...'

"This feather is my treasure! I'll only tell this to you because you showed me that good blade, Niwa did say I should keep the feather a secret. Oh, but I also told it to my friend... but he can't go out much so I believe it is fine.... He did give me a doll though, it's this one..."

Taking off his hat, 'Wanderer' showed a doll that wore white clothes and has black hair, a waistband tied using a butterfly knot, and a clear, round tear at the corner of its eye.

"It looks much like yourself, Kabukimono."

"Yep... I can now also make these dolls by myself"

I then felt a strong sense of loneliness emanating from 'Kabukimono' himself, seeing so, I made up mind and proceeded to state a request.

"...Kabukimono, while staying here in this cave, can I kindly learn the know-hows of making something of similar being to that."

"Umm... Sure! You meant doll making right? I consider Kazuha now as a friend, Kazuha did tell me his name after all."

"Thank you Kabukimono."

"You're welcome!"

Days thus went by and my perception of time seemed to have distorted a bit, amidst the snowy peaks. 'Wanderer' is still not back to usual, as 'Kabukimono' have consistently taught me how to make a doll.

"Here you can have it, it's a bit messy but the doll looked lonely so..." Giving 'Kabukimono' the doll that I have clumsily finished, I could only smile awkwardly at his stares.

'Wanderer' then looked at the doll that wore black clothes and has white hair with a single orange-red streak on its right, a waistband tied using a butterfly knot, much like the doll that 'Kabukimono' has, and a red scarf that had a small single maple leaf design attached at the end.

"...Did you ask me to teach you just so my doll won't be lonely?"

"That is my intention indeed"

"Oh... I see. Thank you, Kazuha"

I could then see a streak of tear falling from his face as the softly illuminated cave buried his expression.

With exhaustion finally making its way to my being I soon fell asleep as the wintry winds blew hard.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"Ah Kazuha you're awake! You suddenly collapsed so I panicked..."

Waking up from my deep slumber I soon found myself layed upon somewhere soft and relaxing as I then saw 'Wanderer's' face, amidst the blurring scenery, inches away from my own.

I soon realized that I was imposing on 'Kabukimono' as he had to let me rest on his shoulder.

"But... I am also feeling a bit tired...goodbye Kazuha..."

"Pardon...?"

As soon as I turned to look at 'Kabukimono', his body had once again fallen to a 'deep sleep' similar to when he first spoke.

Thereafter 'Wanderer' awoke, yet I am not sure if I could really refer to him as Wanderer....

As soon as he assessed his surroundings he stared as if to peer through my very soul, then opened his mouth in a tone I am familiar with yet it still felt oddly... foreign.

"Oh... Haha... this is very troublesome. To think he fell asleep and left us to deal with his body."

"Wanderer... wait no... Kabukimono? You seem to have changed once more..."

"Stop mortal. Don't ever call me by that name. I am only allowed to be addressed as Scaramouche or better yet, The Balladeer." With irritation present on his tone, the once gentle demeanor that 'Kabukimono' exuded was no longer seen.

Shortly startled by the sudden change once again, I quickly tried to keep my composure as I introduced myself to 'Scaramouche'.

"....Understood. Then, I best introduce myself once more. My name is Kazuha."

"Not that I care but, no last name?"

"...Kaedehara"

"Huh?"

"Kaedehara... My full name is Kaedehara Kazuha."

"Kaedehara.... Haha I see, I see"

"Pardon...?" Confused by 'Scaramouche's' sudden show of amusement I could only ask for more answers.

"So he still hasn't told you or rather- he didn't know your identity."

"My identity? though I have noticed that you like referring to yourself as 'he' a lot"

"That's because he and I aren't the same, especially the other one."

"The other one?"

"That scaredy cat you met earlier, we are miles apart. Well there is also that guy... ugh, I don't even want to bring that up so let us just skip that one."

With irritation and disgust present on 'Scaramouche's' face, I couldn't help but ask out of reflex. "That guy? Please hold on for a moment as I can't help but be confused—"

"Well that is normal for a mortal like you but let me say it again, I won't talk about 'that guy' and if you keep asking about him I won't even bother to explain to a being like you anymore."

"...Understood"

"Well moving on, the 'he' I'm referring to is currently asleep and taking his sweet time getting lost in your mindscape due to the resonance of our Visions."

"...In my mindscape? Please do clarify."

"Haa... do I really have to spell it out for you mortal? It means he is currently witnessing your memories"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------