SIXTEEN

Ace

Ace

I spin the knife between my fingers effortlessly as I glare at a chipped-off piece of wood on the table, my mind entirely elsewhere while my men chat about things I don't care enough to listen in on. I knew it in my bones; Wren was up to something. But I couldn't figure out what. My attention centers on the scent that suddenly fills the room, signaling a certain brunette with a mouth made for sin has come near. She sits at the table, a couple of chairs from me, and stares at her cuffed arms in her lap, her lips pressed tightly together. I give her a look without tilting my head upwards, and her eyes catch mine, something flashing in her irises. She knows I know. We have an unspoken moment, and I finally stand, facing Viper,, who stands with his back against the fridge. He eyes me suspiciously but doesn't say a word.

Smart man.

"Who let her out?" I bark out, catching every eye in the room, including Wren's.

"I-I did." Slash stands straight, all humor from his conversation with Viper draining from his voice. "Viper gave me his keys so I could let her out of the room."

"Did I give you instructions to do so?"

"I..." He trails off, looking around nervously. "I just figured we would be having breakfast soon, and she might be hungry—"

"Get her back in there," I snap, my eyes never falling back on her. I feel the tension in the room thicken, and Slash nods, heading to the table and grabbing Wren.

"What. Why?" She asks, fighting against Slash's hold. As if she forgot, I told her that she would stay there for as long as I saw fit—as if I had forgotten the events of last night even happened at all. She thinks she has me tied around her finger just because we've shared a few kisses, and I stupidly let her see my face and let my guard down. Hell, I almost threw all my defenses out the fucking window.

The taste of her still lingers on my tongue, and I debate sawing it off with my knife to get rid of the memory.

I see her from the corner of my eye glaring daggers at me as she jerks her body roughly, but Slash holds her tight. "You piece of shit! You loosen my leash just to fucking jerk me back like a fucking dog?" Each word she speaks sparks flames inside my veins. I feel the burning grow and grow with each fucking syllable that falls from her fucking mouth.

"I think you might have forgotten," I turn to Wren, my eyes centering on her. She stops in her tracks, her breath heaving and breasts pushing against her tight shirt with each struggle for air. "who the fuck is in charge here." I step toward her, swiftly swiping my knife from the table and closing the distance between us. My boots nearly step on her toes, and I almost debate it for a second, maybe even crushing her feet beneath them till each bone snaps so she can't try to run again. I know that's what she was trying to do.

She either chickened out, almost got caught, or realized how fucking stupid trying to run from me was.

I would have chased her to the ends of the earth if I had to.