Chapter 13 - Pt.2

Start from the beginning

For three hours, they helped him. At some point, they'd gained an audience. Koty didn't notice any of them until a surprised cry made him drop the entire pond back into the massive hole, splashing all over the place.

Drenched from head to toe, Koty looked up. "Hi," he said, giving them a sheepish wave.

Monday morning dawned, bright but chilly. Koty had to hurry. James was taking him to the Ministry today, and his mummy and Uncle Siri (Uncle Sirius preferred the shortened name) were going to be joining him.

Uncle Siri didn't seem like his usual cheery self as he sedately added sugar to his coffee.

"I told you to use silencing charms, Siri," Narcissa said sternly. "There is no excuse."

"I know that, Cissa." He said sadly, stirring his drink. "Remmy is going to stay with a friend for a day or two to cool off."

Lucius had already left for the day, but he would meet them at the main entrance to the Education Department for their ten o'clock appointment. He was too curious about the little mark on his younger son's grades to miss it.

"What happened, mummy?" Koty asked cautiously, reaching for the bowl of berries to add to his porridge. "I know... I know Remus doesn't like me much... Is that why he left?"

"No!" Uncle Siri denied immediately. When he continued, he was more calm. "You didn't do anything wrong, Kitten. It isn't you that he hates, okay?"

"Then who is it?" Koty asked hesitantly.

Uncle Siri sighed, rubbing his forehead. "I honestly don't know. Whoever your birth parents are. He's mad at me because I wouldn't let him tell me who they were. It isn't my business, and you're a Malfoy now. That's all that matters to me, because as much as I disliked my own parents, our family motto is still important. Familia super omnia. 'Family above all else'. It doesn't matter where you came from, only that you're here now."

Koty's shoulders slumped. "He wasn't happy when he found out." He looked at his mother. "Am I like them? Is that the problem?" Could that kind of thing happen without him noticing?

"Of course not, sweetheart," Narcissa said softly. "You are a kind and wonderful boy. Those people aren't fit to clean your boots, alright?"

An image of a filthy Sir and Jamie, covered in muck and scrubbing his boots with soft-bristle brushes, made him let out a little giggle.

"Kid, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get within ten feet of a unicorn." Uncle Siri smiled as he speared the pineapple on his plate with a fork. "And if these people are as bad as everyone seems to think they are, the only way they're getting near one, is if they were being gouged by its horn."

Koty didn't want to imagine that. Pushing that thought aside, he picked up his blood smoothie. He hoped Sev woke up soon. The last thing he needed was to get sick again. "Is Draco coming with us?"

"Naturally," Narcissa replied. "We weren't going to leave him here by himself."

"Good," Koty said, nodding. At some point in the near future, Draco was going to start teaching him how to read music and he was hoping that they would start today!

"Hi, James!" Koty said happily, gliding out of the floo, like his parents showed him.

"And a good morning to you, Little Malfoy!" James said, shaking his hand enthusiastically. He faced everyone else that followed him through the floo, except Sirius Black, who floo'd in first. "Lady Malfoy, Heir Malfoy, lovely to see you again!"

As he escorted them toward the education department, they ran into Lucius, who was on his way to the same place.

Lucius kissed Narcissa, clapped Sirius on the shoulder, gave Draco a one-armed 'manly' hug (since Draco was too mature for a regular one) and gave Koty a full hug (who didn't mind in the least).