Chapter 34. Settling In.

Start from the beginning

I just pulled him into a hug, and felt his resistance slowly ebb away as he hugged me back. I promised myself to try to respect his wishes but knew I would find it hard to conform. It was really in my nature to give.

"We best get unpacked," Ming suggested, pulling out of the hug. "You wanting to shower and change clothes?"

"Do I smell then?" I replied, sniffing my armpits.

"No, but I wondered if we should freshen up."

"So! You're not using it as an excuse to see me naked then?" I gave him a cheeky grin and wiggled my eyebrows.

"Earth! Pleeeeeaase! It was a truly innocent suggestion. Besides, we haven't got time to play games if we are meeting the others. I was just checking on the correct thing to do."

I giggled at his embarrassment and began to unpack my bag. "We don't have time so let's just get ready to meet the others."

"Why did Pond particularly want to stay here?" I asked as Ming began unpacking his bag

"He told me that there is a saltwater soak tub in one of the Executive Suites. That's what the Hotel Manager offered him. Did you understand what that was all about?" Ming asked, as we put his empty bag away in the wardrobe.

"I gather that the Hotel Manager is a Merman. He is, isn't he?"

"Yes. I could tell as soon as he came over."

"How?" I asked, stopping what I was doing and looking at him. "You said you would tell me before, but you still haven't."

"I forgot. Sorry. But you didn't ask again." He paused and looked like he was thinking and then sat on the bed. "The depth of the blackness in their eyes is one thing. Take Khun Chiang's for instance. He has superb looking eyes. You can get lost trying to see to the back of them. Have you noticed how smooth their facial skin is, especially Pond's? Once I see those two things I then look at the hands. Really long slim fingers and some thin extra skin between each one will prove they're from Mer. Have you noticed that?"

I shook my head.

"It's hard to see unless you know what you are looking for. Check it tonight while we are eating, but Earth? Don't make it bloody obvious, will you? Please?"

I gave him what I always thought was my best pissed off look but he just laughed at me then said, "I have already learnt that you can't do subtle! We best go. Pond hates tardy humans."

I checked the time on my phone. "We got two minutes to go. Perfect. I'm ready if you are."

I saw Ming smirk, so I told him straight. "I hate tardy humans too. Glad to see that Pond has you well trained."

I felt the playful slap to the back of my head and logged it in my brain to repay him, with interest, later.

"Would Sirs like to eat in or would Sirs like to sit out on the veranda. It is a pleasant evening and not a strong wind," the Maître D asked us as we entered the restaurant.

Pond looked at me. "I think it is more private outside, knowing the sort of questions you are liable to ask."

"Let's eat outside, and not for the reason you just gave." I answered. "My thoughts are why be near the sea and not enjoy looking at it as much as you can? Besides, won't you feel more at home?"

"Well said Earth," Chiang cheerfully responded as he playfully nudged Pond. "He's quick with the repartee, is he not? I think that I shall enjoy his company even more tonight."

As we sat down I looked around for Chiang's security personnel, but couldn't see them.

Pond noticed, and also read my mind, as one does now, it would seem.