Chapter 3

Thanks for all of the nice comments and votes! Hopefully some of my readers stick around. 

Chapter 3- Present Day

Blakely rolled over in her small twin sized bed and pulled her covers up over her head when she heard her phone vibrating on her night stand. She listened to it vibrate several times before it finally stopped, filling up the small room with silence.

She had left Rob at Bart’s last night and could only imagine where he might be now and what he might do when he returns. Blakely could barely even remember the events that took place; she had trained herself to block out beatings so she could move on with her life the next day. She remembered eating fish and chips and drinking beer at Bart’s with Rob after work. She remembered talking to a man she worked with at the school near the restrooms for a few minutes. Rob had quietly dragged her out the back door after seeing the two of them talking. He was fuming; he hated it when Blakely talked to other men. She can’t remember the events that happened outside, but she definitely remembered the tall mysterious man stepping in.

After hearing her phone beep from a voicemail, Blakely peaked her arm out from the covers and pulled her phone in with her. There were two missed calls from a number she didn’t recognize, two missed calls from Rob’s cell phone, and two voicemails.

She took a deep breath and listened to the first voicemail from 7:00 this morning, “Blake, its Rob. I need you to bail me out of jail. That fucking prick from Bart’s last night called the cops.”

She listened to the second voicemail that was from a few minutes ago, “What the fuck Blake? Didn’t you get my call? I’ve been waiting around in a fucking jail cell since 7 this morning for you. I called Daniel and he bailed me out. Be home soon.”

Blakely threw the covers off of herself and leaped out of bed. She quickly cleaned up the clothes from the floor, and made the bed. Rob couldn’t stand an untidy room. She left the bedroom and went into the kitchen where she proceeded to pull out three eggs from the refrigerator. She wasn’t able to get Rob out of jail but maybe if she had breakfast ready for him he wouldn’t be so furious.

The door to the small loft opened and slammed shut. Blakely held her breath while rapidly flipping the eggs on the stove. She grabbed the bread from the toaster and laid it on a plate as she listened to the footsteps approach her. Right when the footsteps came to a halt and she could feel heavy breathing on her neck she tossed the eggs on the plate and turned around on her heels, holding the plate in front of Rob.

“Sorry I missed your call, I made you breakfast.” She said cheerfully, her smile fading as she noticed the cut on Rob’s lip, and the swollen bruise surrounding his eye.

Without speaking a word Rob pushed the plate out of Blakely’s hands and onto the floor, eggs splattering everywhere.  

“What happened last night must never happen again. I know you kicked that bottle.” He whispered, his face only inches away from Blakely’s. He took a step back from her, and lifted his arms swiftly, never giving Blakely a second to react. Rob shoved his bulky arms into her shoulders and watched as she toppled backwards, falling onto the blistering stove.

Blakely wailed out in pain as she collapsed to the floor, cradling her scorched arm. Rob stepped over her to reach the cup of coffee that sat on the counter. He took it and entered the bedroom, closing the door behind him.

Hot tears ran down Blakely’s cheeks as she assessed the burn on her left arm and hand. Blisters had already begun to form on the palm of her hand, wrist, and elbow.

She ran cold water over her arm for several minutes in the sink while tears continued falling from her eyes. She waited until her skin dried to wrap the burns up in a gauze bandage. After taking Aspirin, Blakely sat down on the couch and let out one last whimpering cry. She knew she couldn’t keep this up much longer, she knew her body couldn’t take this abuse anymore.