60 : A Hurt Like That

Start from the beginning

Still unable to meet his gaze, EJ turned his head and let his lips meet the palm of the Doctor's hand. He kissed it. His lips lingered. There was something rather sensual about it, about this time together, despite their surroundings. It was... ineffable.

"You... you don't have to say anything." He managed to choke out, realising the Time Lord's silence. "I know that it's a lot, and I don't know if you've ever felt like that about anyone before-"

"I have." The Doctor admitted, nodding agreeably. He let his hands slide around to the back of EJ's head, threading themselves within the shorter hairs. It took everything for the Thompson boy not to give in, but it was so very tempting. "I am... I do."

EJ seemed surprised by the revelation. "You do?"

"Yes." His answer was blunt. The black haired boy finally lifted his gaze, but only just, now staring at his lips, and the sharp jaw that could cut through diamond. "I-"

It was then that EJ realised how close they were, physically. With the Doctor in the hospital bed, the Thompson boy had sat himself on the edge of it. Only now, their noses were practically bumping as their breath intertwined. EJ longed to be closer, if they could be, but it was so much more than that. This was their way of understanding. This was the physical reassurance that it wasn't all going to be for nothing, now, he just needed the verbal affirmation.

It didn't matter to him if it was casual, exclusive, or otherwise. All it had to be was theirs. That was all he asked for.

EJ egged him on that slight bit further. "You?" Though, the answer never came.

The curtain was drawn back by an older, white man in a suit. He was bald, with wrinkling skin, and large, monkey-like ears. He could have been a corpse in a horror movie, little make-up needed.

Truthfully, for their proximity, EJ should have been embarrassed. However, he just pulled up the armchair beside the bed, and watched as the medical students gawked at him. After all, EJ was a sight to behold. Him and the Doctor combined were a handsome pair, and it was unlikely that anyone would ever see such beauty again.

He smirked. It was doing absolute wonders for his ego.

"Now, then, Mr Smith, a very good morning to you." Mr Stoker greeted, clearing his throat of the discomfort. "How are you today?"

"Oh, not so bad." The Doctor replied, extremely lively by comparison to his behaviour only moments before. "Still a bit, y'know, bleuch."

"John Smith, admitted yesterday with severe abdominal pains. Jones? Why don't you see what you can find? Amaze me."

A dark haired girl stepped forwards, removing the stethoscope from around her neck, looking the Doctor up and down, though she managed it rather discreetly. "Well, it wasn't very clever running round outside, was it?"

Absently, he looked at her. "Sorry?"

"On Chancellor Street this morning? You came up to me and took your tie off."

Suddenly, the Doctor was invested like it was some great adventure. "Really? What did I do that for?"

"I don't know." Jones replied. "You just did."

"Not me." He shook his head, almost pouting. "I was here in bed. Ask the nurses."

EJ grinned, gesturing to him. "The nurses love him."

"Well, that's weird." She hummed. "Cos it looked like you. Have you got a brother?"

"No, not anymore." The Doctor shook his head, lightly, half pretending that it didn't bother him. It wasn't a conversation that he and EJ had mulled over yet, but all the same, the Thompson boy offered his hand for him to take, gently. "Just me."