#21 | One with Nature

[This chapter was posted one week early on my website: ajmstories.com!]

Curtis looked into Slinky's eyes while she squirmed and kicked to try and get out of Sly's grip. Sly struggled a bit to hold her still, but managed, nonetheless.

"Ah hell, sister," Gummy yelled from the ground, still paralyzed by Trapper's ability. "These guys got spells, too!"

"Hey, hey," Curtis spoke softly and tried to keep Slinky's focus on him. "No need'a fret, now. Just relax an' you gon' be okay.

After a minute of fuss, Slinky gradually calmed down and met Curtis's eyes. He had her. Curtis looked at Sly and nodded. Sly released his hold on Slinky after which she calmly walked over to Curtis.

"Hold on fer just a sec," Curtis said to her, then turned to everyone else. "Nobody do anythin'. We're all gonna be fine."

The rest of the Twisted Twins' gang kept their weapons ready, but didn't shoot. They all looked around confused and waited for any direction from their leaders.

Killjoy watched the scene unfold, but still kept herself safe behind the stagecoach. She was physically holding her eyes open to keep from falling asleep, but she couldn't hold out much longer.

"Sis! Levy!" Gummy called. "What're ya doin'?"

"And shut him up," Curtis said and Trapper tightened Gumm's lips. Curtis walked over to Doc who was helping Virginia walk back to the stagecoach. "What d'ya think?"

Doc looked around and readjusted Virginia's arm over his shoulders. "Well, it'd be a pain to take everyone onward to Far Reach or Thorntree. And I don't think any of us wanna head back to Bullwater which wouldn't be much better anyway. Killjoy's almost done for, too, so better finish this quick."

Curtis sighed with a glance to Killjoy and walked back over to Slinky. "Here's what I propose," he said. "Obviously we'd win this brawl if we kept at it. But we're willin' to let'cha off the hook this time if you agree t' take yer gang an' scram, an' don't mess with us again. Fair?"

"Fair," Slinky agreed.

Gummy screamed something in his throat.

Slinky gathered her gang and had them drag the injured back up the ridge. She made the rounds and made sure no one else from her group would make trouble.

"Yeah, count yerselves lucky!" Trapper said.

Curtis glanced at him and gave a look to demand he didn't interfere. Doc raised a hand to Trapper, too, understanding that Curtis's charm over Slinky would be easily broken. Once Slinky got the twelve lackies to retreat from the fight, Curtis approached her again.

"Okay, we'll let yer brother go now, but make sure he doe'n't try nothin'."

Slinky nodded.

Meanwhile, Killjoy couldn't hold back her fatigue any longer and slumped forward against the Stagecoach. Her snores weren't enough warning to the rest of the group before Trapper released his hold on Gummy.

Gummy stood and stretched, then—feeling that his limbs were looser like his spell made them fell—threw an elastic punch at Trapper, knocking Trapper square in the nose and onto the ground. Gummy then threw a quick jab at the side of his sister's head, freeing her from Curtis's spell. "Snap out of it!" he yelled.

Slinky blinked twice and glanced around before aiming her revolver at Curtis who raised his hands.

"Hey, hey," Curtis exclaimed. "Look around! You're still not in any position t' fight. You've already cleared out yer help."