𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔰𝔩𝔲𝔪𝔟𝔢𝔯 𝔭𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔶

one year ago

irene flopped back on to her bed, entirely out of breath. her chest heaved up and down, her face was flushed, her blonde hair a mess around her face. then the weight on her bed changed. she frowned, looking over to the young butler who had just gotten up.

"what are you doing?" she asked, her voice hoarse. the boy looked at her as he slid his clothes back on.

"i must get back to work, your highness." he started to dress quicker, as if he couldn't get out of there fast enough.

irene nodded as she sat up, pulling her sheets up to cover herself. "wait, you told me you had work off for the next three days?" why would he lie to her about that? he wouldn't have gotten in trouble for missing work. especially as long as he was with her. the butler walked over to the door. she stood and quickly slid on her robe. "you told me you would stay with me."

"i know, your highness. and i'm sorry, but i just can't do this. you're the princess, and i'm a butler. if we're caught, if your brother finds out, i'll be kicked out of here."

"so you lied to me? for the past three weeks, all your promises and smiles and compliments were all lies?" she was hurt. it was the longest relationship she'd ever had with anyone who wasn't of her status. and she liked it! she liked him a lot. her shoulders dropped as he placed his hand on a doorknob. "why?"

"i'm scared, your highness. you're nice. really. but you're not for me." then he grinned, as if part of his "sorry" facade dropped. a hint of wickedness. "for what it's worth, you're as good as some of the others say you are."

that wasn't what irene wanted at all. three weeks her and this guy had been seeing each other in secret. for three weeks she thought she had a chance with someone she actually chose. and when she finally decided to let her guard down, he used her for her body. that was it. her face was pale as her eyes fell to the floor. "well, you got what you wanted. happy?"

"much. don't worry, our deal still stands. your brother doesn't find out about your... reputation, as long as i keep my job here. and i must say i'm honored. not many people get to say they've had sex with the princess. or- wait, they have? haven't they?"

her head remained down in shame. reputation. she didn't want a reputation! that's not what it was at all! so what if she spent a couple nights with someone else in her bed? it was the only way to get people to talk to her anymore. at his last few words, her head shot up. tears filled her eyes, her voice cracked as she spoke. "no! that's not what it's like at all! it was only three-" she had to take a deep breath to keep her heavy sobs at bay. "-three others!" and now him.

"oh, make yourself seem more innocent than you actually are, yes? believe me, i've heard the stories. and now i've got to live them. your brother won't find out, but i can assure you, things about the whore princess are going to spread through the palace quick."

irene stumbled backwards, her tears finally flowing down her face, hiccups leaving her. "why are you being so cruel? i thought you liked me!"

"your highness, i do like you! i'm just being honest. this isn't-"

"get out! get out of my room!" the butler didn't move, and a glass vase shattered against the wall. shards and flowers fell to the floor. she didn't care. they were flowers he gave her anyway. "i said get out! before i call the guards!" and at that, the butler scrambled away, leaving irene to herself. she slammed the door shut and locked it to ensure no one would come in. then she fell onto her bed and cried.

••••••••
six months ago

irene walked happily through the halls. it was her favorite time of the year. the end of summer, the beginning of fall. she was a big spring girl, too. but there was just something about this time of year that made her light up.