𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔤𝔯𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔴𝔢𝔩𝔠𝔬𝔪𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔟𝔞𝔩𝔩

after the interviews with the princess, the selected were taken to their rooms. their actual rooms this time. they remained there for the rest of the day and that night. while they weren't locked in, they were still required to lock their doors and windows. the three guards that had been following each selected were assigned to take shifts. one outside each bedroom door and one on the balcony. which was quite unfortunate with the chilly nighttime air that came in the winters of lakevale.

jaxon had yet to meet the selected, and quite honestly he was not looking forward to it. he had too many things to be doing! there was still a murderer out there that was ready to take any of these girls the next moment! he still had a whole day to prepare himself. and according to his dear sister, they were all quite lovely. he tried as hard as he could to get her to stop talking about them, he would have liked some peace. still, even through the door she persisted. going on and on about charlotte and maisie and isobel and countless others. he wasn't sure if he could do this. he was mentally prepared for his first selection, but the second time around was already proving to be harder. he didn't even know any of the girls names, yet he had drawn them! of course, the names and addresses were then passed on to his advisors so he didn't have to deal with it. unfortunately, he made a commitment. it would look bad if he stepped away, especially as king.

the day was fading quickly. he knew that soon the selected would be out of their rooms, dressed and all done up for the ball. why did he decide on a ball? because it was tradition? it was only a spotlight to signal danger! he once again had to remind himself that it was happening whether he liked it or not. he stood up on a stool, his arms lifted from his sides as a maid took his measurements one more time.

"okay, your majesty. i believe this should fit." she slid the blood red jacket over the matching waistcoat and white button up. jaxon made quite the handsome picture, with his blond hair styled back, loose strands falling over his forehead yet still somehow placed perfectly. if he only had a small smile or a light in his eyes, he would have looked approachable too. and as the maid suspected, the outfit fit him like a glove. the young king had gained some of his muscle back at helen's insistence, yet one could still tell he was thinner than normal. the waistcoat shaped him a little better, though. finally, he heard a sharp knock at the door.

"jax! open up! it's time to go! the selected are already in there waiting!" he swore that his sister was more invested in the selection than he was. he sighed and stepped off the stool, thanking the maid as he opened the door. there stood irene, her hair in long waves down her back, a sleeveless light pink ballgown with lighter flowers decorating the the bottom of the skirt.

"is mom coming?" jaxon asked, stepping out of his room and closing the door behind him.

"no. she said she doesn't have the energy for a ball tonight." their mother never had the energy for anything anymore. not since their dad died. irene looped her arm around his. "it's so good to see you! you never even open the door for me anymore."

"i'm busy."

"that's always your excuse." he used to never be too busy for her. she had to find other ways to entertain herself. some of which jaxon would murder her for. but she was an adult, and he chose to not pay attention to his little sister anymore. the siblings continued to make their way down to the ballroom. he stopped outside the doors, already hearing the crowd inside chatting, the orchestra music just barely louder than them.

what a grand ball it was. the warm lighting coming from the giant, elegant chandeliers on the ceiling created a warm atmosphere like none other. long tables were on the left side, filled with all kinds of food, dessert, and drinks. on the right, circular tables for sitting. the center was the dance floor, where his advisors, the council, and nobles danced. even some of the guards and maids had been able to join. soon, the large doors opened at the top of the staircase, and a voice came over the microphone.

"please bow for princess irene irenica." the princess bounded in, practically hopping down the stairs as she made her way to the table at the front of the room, just in front of the orchestra, reserved specifically for the royals. three seats, just in case.

"please bow and welcome king jaxon irenica." jaxon stepped in the room. he nearly scanned it, a nervous habit. but he was king now and there was no room for nerves. so he remained looking forward, his posture perfect, hands behind his back. as the microphone was passed on to him, he allowed himself to look down the grand staircase to his people below.

"please rise. it is with great pleasure that i welcome the selected into the palace. as we know, the selection is usually a once in a lifetime event." realizing what he said, he cringed. usually. he continued with practiced ease. "nonetheless, it is an honor to have each of these unique and incredible ladies here. welcome them warmly, one of them will be your queen someday." a loud roar came from the crowd, cheering for both their king and the selected. "now, i invite you all to continue enjoying the ball. dance, eat, chat. enjoy yourselves this night." another cheer as jaxon handed the microphone back and descended the steps, making his way through the ballroom.

••••••••

alright! welcome to the first official event! i will still be accepting forms through this, however it will be completely closed after! this is a required event, as well, so make sure your active.

what to do:
• join the chat chain. normally i would make a main chain for this kind of event, but sometimes they just get crowded and confusing and really can be kind of pointless without something happening for everyone. so join the chat chain to discuss character relationships, learning characters, and figuring out chains!

• speak to at least one other selected. make friends or enemies ;)

• speak to a royal. only once you have created a chain with another selected and are actively roleplaying in it will i respond to chains with jaxon. we need other relationships in this!

that's all! have fun!! all the royals are played by me, including the dog (twix) who may make a surprise appearance. let's get this party started!