𝒄𝒐𝒍𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒍𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒊𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒃𝒆 𝒂𝒏 𝒂𝒔𝒔

HEATHER WAS UNCOMFORTABLE to say the least

HEATHER WAS UNCOMFORTABLE to say the least. Being back in Alex's life, him being back in hers. Sure, five years ago their lives were intertwined in every way possible but now they were from two completely different worlds. Two worlds that shouldn't mix or didn't make sense. But her they were looking right at one another.

One thing Heather noticed right away was she couldn't tell how he was feeling or what he was thinking about — something she used to be able to do. She was like some psychic or magic with the way she could practically read his mind.

But in this moment all she saw was nothing.

"Heather, this is Alex Walter, he'll be tutoring you in all five subjects and has cleared his schedule to help you specifically isn't that great?"

"So great." Heather huffed crossing her chest.

"Take a seat will you?"

Heather sat down next to Alex crossing her legs and arms as she looked forward at the counsellor.

"We set it up that you will be meeting with Alex three times a week, the two of you can coordinate those days together and what subjects you focus on which days. As well as where you choose to work, such as the school or at one of your houses. It's all up to the two of you. But Heather if you skip your meetings or we don't see any progress academically we will be pulling you from the cheer team and it is a possibility that you would repeat the grade if no improvement is shown, do you understand?"

"I'm not a child and I'm not stupid. I understand okay? What I don't understand is why this is such a big deal. It's only the second month of school."

"It's a big deal because it's a quarter into the semester and you're at the bottom of the class with lower than twenty percent in all your main courses. Which I didn't even know was possible. You don't do your homework, you fail the tests, and you have skipped ninety percent of your classes. You're in a really bad spot Heather."

Heather didn't respond just rolled her eyes before asking, "can I go now?"

"Yes. Just make sure you and Alex plan your meetings first."

Heather got up and stepped outside feeling Alex walk behind her. "I have cheer Tuesdays and Thursdays so we could do Monday's, Wednesday's and Friday's if that works for you?"

"Yeah that'd be good."

"Perfect." Heather went to turn around but Alex grabbed her shoulder.

"Today's Friday."

"I'm not starting today I have to pick up Lily and Luke from daycare and figure out what to do on those days now."

She didn't bother to hide her pathetic life to Alex because she spent nights upon nights crying to him about her parents and everything that happened. But he doesn't know what's happened in the last five years and she plans to keep it that way. He doesn't know her dad left, or about her mom's new boyfriend, or about the fact she moved into his shitty trailer and shared a bed with her two siblings.

No she lets him think it's the same. That she lives in her nice middle class home with fighting parents forced to take care of her siblings.

"They can come over." I'm sure Parker would love to spend time with another little girl and Jordan and Luke are still best friends so they'll be okay."

Heather took in a deep breath, "fine but ask your mom first and let me know, okay? And don't just say it's okay without asking."

Alex smiles and Heather can't help her own smile that appears.

"You still know me so well."

"Yeah well we were best friends for eleven years." There's a moment of silence but it isn't awkward it's comforting.

"I better get walking."

Before Heather can register what's happening she's being pulled in the direction of the Walter's large van.

"Alex what are you doing?"

"We need to make a study plan that way we'll be ready for next week. We have to go to the other school anyways to get Parker, Benny and Jordan so we'll get Lucas and Lily too."

They made there way over the two looking like an unlikely pairing at least in their eyes but if anyone else looked at them they would see two people who were never more in sync, two people who went together better than anything else in the world.

It was just one of those pairings that was fate or destiny. Meant to be. But sometimes even that is tricky to admit or believe and can cause things to fall apart.

"Heather Newton and Alex Walter. Never thought I would see this again." Cole smirks at the two looking over at Heather with his dazzling eyes.

Heather just scoffs, "why not you just mind your own god damn business?"

"I prefer not too."

"Believe me I know."

"How's Ben? I mean I saw him and Olivia drive off together after school in his truck. You're such a trusting girlfriend."

Heathers face became a dead give away. She knew it. She knew he would cheat on her again. Why did she keep giving him chances? And Cole knew exactly how to get under her skin. Ever since she turned him down he had some sort of cruel vendetta against her. Even though her and Alex weren't friends anymore she knew that being Cole would only hurt him more. And besides there was only one Walter boy she would ever even consider being with in that way and it was not Cole.

But as Cole's words registered she felt a wave of sadness was over her, her eyes getting glassy and her face showed a pained expression. Cole was taken aback by this and the others felt waves of uneasiness and regret.

Alex clapped his hands together, "let's just get the youngsters and go home, yes?"

"Uh, yeah. Are we getting Lily and Luke too?"

"Yup." Alex responded opening the door and letting Heather slide in as he followed sitting next to her, everyone else filling in to the back.

Heather knew everyone but the girl who sat in the front seat in the centre of the van. "Jackie right?"

"Yeah, and your Heather? It's nice to meet you, and good to finally see you in person."

"In person?"

"Yeah there's a few pictures of you in the Walter's house."

The drive was quiet to the elementary school and when they got there Alex and Heather went to get them all from their classes. They took them all to the van and then stared the long drive home. The Walter's lived on a ranch one that was almost an hour's long drive into the town.

Heather always loved this drive of the scenery and the Walter's random conversations, she loved it all and soon she fell fast asleep her head leaned against the cold window. This would be the first good sleep Heather would have in five years.