7. What may the future hold

Start from the beginning

"I am not dead, don't get too excited." She commented and I snorted at the joke.

"How alive are you on a scale from 1-10.?" I asked and sat on the edge of the bed.

"Well, 2.5. Maybe 3" Lina replied, even tired she managed to look good half conscious.

"See practically dead." I responded, I was trying to hide the horror for both me and James. I could feel my parabatai's stress overflowing his energy. I was sure it was the combination of his small interdimensional trip, Barbara's passing out and Linette's seizure that came on top. James was sitting at the armchair across the room and he was silent and thankfully, my amusing dialogue seem to have Linette forget about the presence of James.

"Almost like you after a hangover." Lina spoke, her voice was getting raspier, highlighting the exhaustion her organism had gone through. She was hugging her pillow. James' eyes were pinned upon her figure, he was behind her.

"Oh having a hangover, includes the pause of alcohol for several hours... Bold of you to assume I have hangovers." I commented and tried to gain an eyecontact with my parabatai.

"Oh, what can I say? I am bold" She giggled.

"It's a twin thing..." I spoke trying to get James in the conversation.

"What is?" James asked and looked at me, his expression puzzled.

"Boldness" I replied. "Where does your mind wander off Jamie?" I asked.

"To his blonde platinum angel that just arrived to our humble city. Perhaps, next time you could fight your urges and not let ladies so abruptly and rudly. This could be a scandal." Linette threw a nail at him, I cannot say it was unfairly.

"Yes, and thank you for the rescue... I saw that Aiden came for dance." James remarked and looked at his sister with a sigh. "At least it was for a while..." He commented.

"Yeah, then it was Alastair, it goes from bad to worse" I chuckled lightly. Alastair is unbearable and frustrating, this person really has no soul and I cannot understand how him and Cordelia were siblings, she was so different, so sweet and kind and beautiful. He was mean and an awful person, remembering the days back in the academy had my blood boil.

"I, actually, happened to like Alastair. He is pleasant..." she spoke and I gulped looking down at Linette.

"You cannot be serious." I exclaimed making the twins jump at the sudden outburst. I regretted my reaction instantly, nonetheless I couldn't withstand listening to good words for the person that caused my family so much pain. I felt my heart clench as I saw James shot up wide eyed and Lina sat up and looked at me. I wish I had some booze. "Sorry." I sighed.

"Its okay, are you okay though?" Lina asked and looked at me her grey eyes were tired, she rolled her body closer to me and touched my knee gently she was covered with a woolen blanket and I dragged the blanket slowly and covered her feet better, James seemed to be dragged back into his own world.

"I am just shaken Lina, and I sincerely dislike Alastair and I do not prefer to spend my time speaking about a subject like him" I explained and patted her back feet above the blanket in a comforting way and offered her a smile. Even at a state like she was right now she was concerned about me. "How about you? Seriously though? What happened?" I asked her.

"Matthew Fairchild, serious. James, dearest, note the date" Lina responded with a chuckle.

"Will though Linette Herondale be serious to?" James asked me and I looked at him.

"Look who decided to come to our universe." She asked him, Lina's gaze was trying to lighten the atmosphere and she darted from her twin to me, she realized that we were seriously wanted to speak about it. "It was an accident" she admitted.

"How can an accident cause this Linette?" James asked. He was anxious and looked at me for some back up.

"What he means, is that you seemed fully prepared, and then you were missing a glove." I explained what James was unable to express.

"I was waltzing with Alastair and we were speaking. And then there was the scream, he signed to me that Barbara was collapsing and it was a reflex I tried catching her and the comp on her hair I think, was caught in the lace of my glove. And then I touched her cheek. Helped Anna undo the crochet. This is when I realized what I had gotten myself into..." Her calm was indescribable, maybe it was the exhaustion she didn't have the power to be as creeped out as we were. "Everything started blurring and thankfully I saw Thomas and you, James next to him and you knew that something was completely wrong." She concluded her summary.

"Alright, I will be the one to shoot the one million question. What did you see?" I wondered and looked at Lina whose face darkened immediately. She looked uneased but I didn't take the question back.

"I mean, I want to know too. From what I get, the most serious the seizure the worse the vision." James added he had stood up and moved around sitting on his sister bed next to her head, he needed to see her reactions as he supported my question.

"I think I saw the future, is this enough?" Lina spoke and sat up next to James so we could talk better he covered her with blanket that was dislocated owing to her movement.

"Well no it is not, because literally five minutes ago I became a shadow." James revealed "And then Barbara collapsed and the next moment we are hurrying to get you out of the ball room which we didn't do." He added summarizing our side of the story.

"I had the seizure in front of everyone? Great..." Lina groaned and covered her face, she was blushing from embarrassment.

"Do not be concerned we hid you behind a pillar" I spoke up and sighed "Honestly there were no people. Everyone was with Barbara. Your parents made sure to maintain the audience limited." I assured her as she laid again this time on James' lap he was stroking her hair carefully. "What did you see though?" I asked again bringing the hot topic again.

"I was laying at the infirmary, I was laying on a bed and the pain I felt was unbearable. It wasn't a muscle or a stab wound. It was general, eating me from inside out. I was feeling a weigh on my torso, something that wouldn't allow oxygen, my heart was pulsating heavily with difficulty. It felt as if time was coming by slowly and I could hear each heartbeat in my eardrums so loudly. On my side I saw aunt Sophie..." Lina paused, her gaze was looking blankly at the floor. She closed her eyes briefly and took a deep breath and I exchanged a glance with James who signed me to give her time.

"Aunt Sophie was weeping. I have never seen anyone crying. There was so much pain. Mental but mostly physical. My point of view started raising as If I was seeing everything hang from the ceiling. As in my visual field I saw aunt Sophie crying over Barbara. I was trying to speak to her hug her move closer to her and the more I was trying, the more I wasn't able to breath, the more I was aching, aching so much as if a- a hand tore right through my heart and ripped my heart out in such slow pace I could feel every ounce of it--" Her voice was raising the more she was narrating her experience, her vision and it felt as if she was getting lost at her own collections, reliving it. I allowed James to handle this situation he seemed somewhat more familiar with it. But he didn't.

"Hey hey, easy. We got the picture" James spoke and shook her abruptly to get her out of the depth of her ponders. I didn't want to mention it but she basically predicted the death of Barbara. My head was with Thomas as I felt as if our Barbara was already gone. I didn't speak of it, the last thing Linette needed was to be more upset. "How about you get some sleep?" James asked.

"Alright but, promise to not leave?" Lina requested and laid back on her pillow. Her gaze was first on me and then to James.

"We aren't going anywhere Lina" James spoke and kissed her forehead. We didn't move from our spots.

A/N: Just wanted to say thank you for reaching this part! I always appreciate comments and feedback as it assists me to keepgoing.

Have a great day,

Take care,

silvermist