Prologue

Prologue

"Mummy?" I called out from the darkness of my room. I strained my eyes, hoping I could see something, anything, to calm the beating of my heart. I was scared, petrified even. I feared a lot of things, but the darkness was my biggest fear.

"Mummy!" I shouted even louder. Come on, Avery, at least try to find the door handle. I scampered around my bedroom. It was cold in here. My little fingers felt across the walls. I couldn't find the light switch either, but felt that I was much too small to reach it anyway.

Mummy did this often. She would take me to my bedroom, turn off the lights and lock the door shut whilst I cried and pleaded for her to stay. Being locked in my room meant only one thing, mummy and daddy were having friends round. They were always so loud and bashful. And I was always left on my own.

"Mum-" just as I was about to shout her name again, the door opened with force.

Thank you! I internally screamed with joy. My eyes took a few seconds to focus, but finally, there was light. I realised I was looking at the complete wrong wall, and actually, the door was behind me. I turned around.

"Will you shut the fuck up!" Mummy shouted. Her voice was raspy and her eyes dark with annoyance. When she was like this, she scared me. In fact, mummy and daddy were always scary.

"I'm scared of the dark." I whimpered.

"Avery, I really don't give a shit. We have friends round and all I can hear is you being a big baby!" She bellowed. "Don't make me get your father up here." I cowered at the thought of my father bounding up the stairs.

"I'll be quiet." I said, as my bottom lip trembled. "But can you keep the light on?"

"No." She clapped back. And before I could reply to her words, plead to her that I would be better if the light was just kept on, the door slammed shut and I was plunged back in to darkness. My heart beat began to sky rocket again. It was bounding out of my chest.

I tried to keep quiet, I really did, but I didn't understand. Six year old Avery just couldn't comprehend why she had to stay in a cold, dark room when her parents had friends over. What were they even doing down there? Why couldn't I join? Why couldn't I have the light on?

"Mummy!" I began to call again. Maybe if I pleaded with her more she would let me keep the lights on this time. Maybe she'd allow me to sit downstairs with everyone else. That was never the case, though, but maybe this time it could be?

"Mummy!" I shouted. Please, please help me mummy.

The door opened again, this time more forceful than before. In fact, it was so forceful I was scared the door would come off it's hinges. The door handle smacked against the white, unpainted wall behind it. It was already dented from previous times the door had opened this way, so there wasn't any further damage.

Unfortunately though, there was only one person who could use such force.

"Shut the fuck up Avery, or I'll fucking kill you." The deep voice of my daddy shot out across the room. His voice bounded off every wall, the ceiling, the floor and bounded straight in to my chest. He stood across the door frame, all six foot of him, blocking out a lot of the light from outside of my room.

His eyes were like fire. Angry. That's all he ever was when he looked at me, and no body in this world scared me more than him.

He tipped his head back, sniffed loudly and looked at me again.

"You're going to ruin the high." He snapped. The high. I heard it often. I never knew what it meant.

"But-"

"I will fucking kill you." He pointed at me as he threatened me. Then he slammed the door shut.

Darkness.

Again.

The Wall Between Us जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें