Chapter Three: Wishes and Secret Cults

Ms. Hopkins was one of the CEOs of the Wishes for Dying Kids Association. Okay, maybe it wasn't called the Wishes for Dying Kids Association, but it was practically the same thing.

If there was one thing I knew about Ms. Hopkins, it was her love for tea. Every time we spoke, it was in the courtyard. She had a round table ready with two chairs for the both of us and a kettle with endless cups of tea.

She always started the conversation with, "I hope you understand why I am here." I nodded, taking a small sip. The first sip was always the hardest as you could never tell if it was going to burn your tongue or not.

Ms. Hopkins always had papers with her. She had them laid neatly next to her, and even though the pile was stacked high, it seemed like it was organized and perfected to Ms. Hopkin's needs. She rummaged through the papers in the silence.

"As you may know, you are in Stage 3 of your cancer," she stated, keeping her eyes towards the pile. I slowly took another sip of tea. Finally, Ms. Hopkins positioned herself to look professional, intertwining her hands together and elbows on the table.

She smiled, "Have you made your wish?"

I dreaded the question even though I knew that that was the sole purpose for her being here. "Ms. Hopkins, I-" I began, but I was cut off.

"What do we have here?" someone asked. I turned to see Claire standing next to Ms. Hopkins. She was smiling down at us.

Dumbfounded, I introduced, "Oh, Ms. Hopkins, this is Claire." Ms. Hopkins outstretched her hand to shake Claire's. To my surprise, Claire returned the gesture. She turned to me. "Oh my God Keira, there is the cutest doctor at the vending machine!"

I raised an eyebrow. When I didn't reply immediately, she pulled my arm to get up, "Come on, you're going to love him!"

Before I could protest, Claire and I were already inside the hospital. She had a stronger grip than I anticipated.

Suddenly, I realized that we passed the vending machine. Finally, we were in my room. Claire jumped onto the bed, landing on her back in the comforts of the standard hospital sheets. She laughed, looking genuinely happy.

"What the heck was that?" I asked. "Is your vocabulary dumbed down to Bob the Builder?" she asked. I gave her a confused look. "Repeat after me," Claire stated, "He-ll." She moved her hands for enthuses.

I crossed my arms, "You are not giving me a curse word lesson right now." Then I changed the subject. "What was that for? How did you even know my name?" I asked. Claire's happy expression was replaced with a more serious one that reminded me of the one she had when I first met her.

"What, is your name secretive?" she asked, and then she gasped, acting frightened, "Are you the leader of a cult?!" I rolled my eyes, "Funny Claire." "See? You know mine too," she said, and then she smiled, "Maybe I'm the leader of a secret cult."

"Yeah," I said sarcastically, and then I hit her with one of my pillows, "Now get off my bed." "Hey!" she protested but stood up.

Then Claire went serious again. "Hey, where do you stash your goods?" she asked, "I've been rummaging through your stuff, and I can't find any." That caught me off guard, "You rummaged through my stuff?!"

"Yeah," Claire looked disappointed and a little concerned. She pointed to the closet, "You seriously need to get new clothes." I put my hands on my hips even though she was right on so many levels.

Claire had her hands in her pockets now. "So, where is it?" she asked, her voice slightly demanding. "I have to ask for it," I stated. "Then ask," Claire told me. I sighed, "Fine, but it might take longer than you want."

She smiled in a cunning way. "Is little Keira getting sassy?" she asked, placing her hands on her hips. I didn't understand her games. "No," I said. Claire didn't seem convinced. She started mocking me, "It might take longer than you want, Claire! Don't mess with me and my Bob the Builder vocabulary, Claire!"

"I don't sound like that!" I exclaimed. "I don't sound like that!" she copied. "Get out of here!" I demanded, throwing a pillow at her. "Fine," she stated, and then she pointed at me, "Get the goods, Keira."

As she left, I called to her, "It's not for your secret cult, right?" "You never know!" she yelled back.