Chapter Twenty-Nine

Hollyn found Cedric leaving the tent, all his friends congratulating him as he showed them the golden egg

"Hollyn." He smiled at her approaching. All the Hufflepuffs looked between the girl and boy and started to slowly disperse.

"Congratulations." She gestured to the egg with a downward, awkward smile. "Glad you're not dead."

"Me too." Cedric nodded.

"Have you figured out the clue yet?" Hollyn asked.

"No, but I've got until after Christmas." Cedric walked over to her and they began walking back to the castle.

- - -

The crowd in the Gryffindor common room had grown significantly large, everyone cheering as Harry stood in the middle.

Fred and George lifted him on their shoulders as he waved the egg around.

"Yes, Harry!"

"Knew you wouldn't die, Harry."

"Lose a leg."

"Or an arm."

"Pack it in altogether?"

"Never!" Both the boys shouted in unison.

"Shush!" Seamus had gotten to egg, bringing it back to the center of the circle. He pressed the egg to his lips for good luck. "Go on, Harry. What's the clue?" He tossed the egg to Harry.

"Who wants me to open it?" Everyone cheered for him to open the golden egg. He twisted the top of the egg and the three sides fell down.

Harry was dropped to the ground as the Weasley's covered their ears along with everyone else. A loud screeching came from the egg.

"What the bloody hell was that?" Ron asked, standing in the doorway.

"Alright, everyone! Go back to your knitting. This is gonna be uncomfortable enough without all you nosy sods listening in." One of the twins said to the students.

"I reckon you have to be barking mad to put your own name in the Goblet of Fire." Ron admitted.

"Caught on, have you? Took you long enough." Harry said dryly. Hollyn cleared her throat, giving him a warning look. Ron was his best friend after all.

"I wasn't the only one who thought you'd done it. Everyone was sayin' it behind your back." Ron whispered, causing Harry to look around.

"Brilliant. That makes me feel loads better."

"At least I warned you about the dragons." Ron said.

"Hagrid warned be about the dragons." Harry corrected.

"No, no. No, I did. No, don't you remember? I told Hermione to tell you that Seamus told me that Parvati told Dean that Hagrid was looking for you. Seamus never actually told me anything, so it was, it was really me all along. I thought we'd be alright, you know... after you figured that out."

"Who-who could possibly figure that out? That's completely mental." Harry told him, still slightly confused.

"Yeah. Isn't it?" Ron chuckled. "I suppose I was a bit distraught." Ron shrugged.

"Boys." Hermione sighed in disbelief.

"That was either some really deep gaslighting, or he really is mental."