CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE

Magsimula sa umpisa

On his way, the special forces had confirmed that they were in position, and he'd been told what signals he could give for what. Then when the notification for a transfer completed had been faxed to him, he'd floored it to make it on time.

Billy, Mitchell and Jason were going to be parked right where the military vehicles were. The ambulance they had arranged just in case was also there, not too far, but far enough to be hidden under the cover of trees.

It was a forested area in the middle of nowhere where the building was located, and grudgingly, Trey admitted Ethan was being both careful and much smarter this time. But Trey was ready, even though there were still many unknowns.

Ethan appeared then, holding a gun to Lexi's head while he smiled at Trey. For his part, Trey was relieved both his woman and the babies she was holding were okay—physically. That was until he saw the gag in her mouth and the tears pouring down her cheeks.

"I'm impressed," Ethan began, snatching Trey's attention from Lexi. "You're an admirably punctual person," he continued in that same mocking tone.

Trey's fists clenched on their own accord and that reminded him of the envelope he was holding. He took two steps forward only to have Ethan say, "Don't come forward, really. Stay right where you are."

Trey hesitated, but a glance at Lexi and he obeyed. Just then Nicolysse appeared with Maya, unbound, saying, "You can have her back. We're done using her."

But Ethan lifted a hand, halting Maya's movement. "What's in the envelope Robinson?"

In a calm, composed voice, Trey responded, "A document which clearly states my handing over of a quarter of my assets to you. I've already signed them," he said, tossing the brown paper to somewhere between them. "All you need is to put your signature in agreement and that's it."

Ethan turned to Nicolysse, asking her to get the document while she escorted Maya over and that he would keep her covered. Though skeptical, she did, picking up the document and backing away, never giving her back to Trey.

"Here," Ethan said, giving her the gun to hold against Lexi's head, then went ahead to skim the document. "Nice," he muttered, signing where he had to with the pen in the envelope.

He took back the gun while holding the brown envelope in the other hand. "Thank you for doing your part." He paused to smile. "I know you have Carter too. Let me have her."

Without a word, Trey took steps backward till he was next to his car. He opened the backseat, and letting the door shield him, he pulled Carter out, shutting the door, and leading her over.

Once he got to the spot where Ethan had asked him to stop, he paused and let Nicolysse, who had come forth with one of the babies, take her. He collected his son, eyes on Ethan, and handed him to Maya, asking her to back up.

"What's the meaning of this?" Trey asked quietly.

"That was in exchange for Carter," Ethan said, smirking. "And for this," he continued, waving the envelope, "you get to choose one more out of the two."

"That wasn't the deal," Trey argued calmly. "I was supposed to get all of them back in exchange for relinquishing a quarter of my assets; that was the deal."

Ethan cocked his head, as if trying to gauge how serious Trey was. Then . . . he laughed. "There was never an agreement!" he yelled. "You just assumed it was when I asked you to bring my share of your wealth."

Thinking back to the phone call, he realized indeed that Ethan had never said he would give them away in exchange for the assets, and that made him curse himself for letting emotions lead his decision.