Chapter 6: Goodbye

Start from the beginning

I was very nervous.

Will he answer me? Is he hearing me right now?

"I hope we can meet soon" I finished off before saying 'amen' and getting up from the floor with a groan, my knees hurt from the cold wooden floor.

"I was surprised you did not contact me sooner, Aubrey" a voice said with a light tone and I jumped. I spun around to see him standing at my bedroom doorway with a wrinkled smile.

"Why dose everyone scare me half to death?" I mumbled to myself.

He laughed loudly and I follow with an awkward giggle of my own.

"Oh dear I apologize for my rude entrance. I was just excited to explain your questions. How are you settling in?" He asked kindly while walking in.

He pulled me into a lovely hug which I hugged him back as if we were old friends which didn't feel as weird as I thought it would be.

"I am doing ok, I did have a nightmare but it's ok" my voice trailed off uncertainly at the end as he frowned.

"They will go away in time. You are just adapting" he simplified and I nodded.

"So I heard you have many questions? As to be expected" he sat down at the edge of the bed as I nodded once more,

"Yes" I rubbed my hands together nervously.

"Well after the nightmare I was thinking..." I nervously toyed with my fingers. "I—I never got to say goodbye to my parents and...it felt to suddenly. I just was wondering if I could say goodbye? If that was possible" I had began to ramble towards the end in embarrassment.

He sighed sadly and stand up to tower over me in his natural height.

"I am sorry to Aubrey but you or no one is allowed to visit the living after they die. It is a rule" he said in guilt and remorse as I bowed my head

I felt tears prick the corners of my eyes so I quickly changed the conversation. I hated crying in front of people.

"S-speaking of rules, what are they?" I asked horsely as the tears caught in my throat.

Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry.

With a sad smile he answered me, "There are a few rules. The one I just said along with no one is to cross the gates of heaven. I'm sure Marabella mentioned it?" He asked and I nodded.

"Good and that's about it" he concluded and I hummed in both surprise and conformation.

That's is? Only two rules? What about stealing? Killing?—Can you be killed in heaven? Well everyone here in heaven is good so I don't think crimes is a problem at all...

"What about the first rule? Where no one dead can contact the living. What about ghosts?" I asked curiously as he rubbed at his chin.

"Well they are more flexible to deal with. Spirits have unfinished business or things they have held onto through out their life so strongly they stayed even though dead"

I frowned, "but I too have unfinished business. I have to say goodbye to my parents" I stressed my words, trying to get him to understand how desperate I was.

He sighed before he slouched his shoulders, "I am sorry Aubrey but I can't allow you do."  Silence followed.

"But also, you are here because perhaps saying goodbye isn't as important as you may think it is? Maybe something is more important you need to accomplish here in heaven than say goodbye" he countered with a heavy gaze.

I thought it over for a few seconds before nodding slowly.

Was it about the tree?

"I have another question" I asked and he raised a hand as if saying 'go ahead'.

"What's with the huge Aspen tree at the edge of the field?" I asks curiously as he frowned with a serious look.

"How do you know of that?"

I scuff my feet against the wood. "Well when I first came here I woke up under it. Remember?" I hinted and he nodded while staring off into the distance.

"It's strange. Normally people wake up in the field— but no where near that tree. But you were right next to it" he mumbled while a deep look caused his wrinkles to sprout more.

He shook his head as if shaking the thoughts off.

"Anyways that tree is there as a kind of protection. People from hell can cross the gates if you wanted to—"

That information caused me to stiffen in shock.

"...But they can not touch or pass the tree. So it's useless crossing the gate to only come a few yards" he explained further.

I wonder if that's the same for in hell? I've never tried going farther into hell than the dead tree...I wonder if I could?

Should I try?

"Is that all your questions?" He asks as I slowly nod, sorting through my brain to see I missed anything.

"No. That it. Thank you." I responded as he smiled brightly.

"Good. I'm glad to had help and I'm sorry about the nightmares. Just remember you are safe and happy here" he reassured before he tipped his imaginary hat with a goodbye and quickly disappeared.

And I was left alone again with thoughts surrounding me. One longed against my mind more than others though. Which prompted me to feel that spacific itch under my skin.

Can I pass the dead tree?