chapter four.

04 | MY EX IS AT THE DOOR

"Come on Daph, you're gonna burn yourself out if you keep going over this dance." My friend, Kat comments as she watches me practice.

But I tune her out. I know it's rude but she has to understand that I have to be absolutely perfect at this show. My teacher has people from Juilliard coming and I can't blow my chance.

This school has been my dream since I was a little girl. I'm so close to achieving it and I can't let it slip through my fingers yet.

I was just a little girl, watching this wonderful woman by the name of Jalani Hamasaki. Her name sounds unusual especially in the dance world but she's one of the most talented dancers I've ever seen.

She's my inspiration in life. I plan to be like her. Even though I'm not even close to her level. But I want to work to be able to get to her level.

I want nothing more than to see my parent's faces when they see that I was accepted into the school I've been talking about ever since I could talk.

Dad would probably tell me to keep doing what I'm doing, to keep following my dreams. And my mom, she'll just be happy I stopped talking about the place.

She hates when things are repetitive. So the fact that I keep talking about it really ticker her off. I don't meant to do it, but I can't help myself.

"I have to be perfect, Kat." I tell her, going to play the music one more time but she smacks my hand away from the laptop.

"If you press play on that song one more time, I'll break your fingers." She threatens. I hold my hand with the other one and frown.

She sighs. "Im sorry Daph, but it's too much. Even for you. And don't want you to burn yourself out. Especially days before the show."

I sigh also, plopping down on the floor beside her. We're sat inside the auditorium during lunchtime. It's empty and I needed a huge space to practice.

But Kat's right. I can't keep going over and over this dance. I'll just end up burning myself out, messing up my dance and blowing my chances.

Don't think like that Isis!

"I'm sorry. I just really want to nail this." I mutter, feeling so stupid. I didn't know how much and how damaging this was to me. I just wanted to perfect this routine.

"Don't apologize. I know your motives but you just executed it wrong. It's okay with wanting to be perfect but it's not okay to overwork yourself." She rubs my arm reassuringly.

I lean my head on her shoulder. She laughs before laying her head on top of mine. We both sit in silence, listening to that faint sound of the student body screaming bloody murder.

Ever since the big blowout, I thought I'd go my whole life without any friends. Only because I believed that friendships would never work out unless you knew the person since a child.