Additional Part 24: Sibling Disputes

Start from the beginning

Sarah frowns after him. Her eyes travel over to JJ with a wide look.   

“Are you kidding me? How did you deal with that in a small cell for hours…” she purses her lips, speechless. “I would have lost my mind.” she mutters. 

JJ is slow to step out. She gives him a sympathetic look, eyes trailing over the bruises blooming and coloring his face.

JJ returns a crooked smile. “Well, you can thank Maya for her speech of enlightenment…” he tries to joke, then snorts. Then his gaze settles into something a little more in thought. “Nah, but really… she spoke to me two nights ago- somethin’ kinda changed, you know? Somethin’ anchored my mind or somethin’… she helped me straighten out my priorities, I guess- and get them sorted out all right. And some things clicked, I guess- I knew some things had to be done. That’s just how it is.” he shrugs, then rolls his shoulders as they begin to walk, stretching his muscles. “By the way, thanks….” he says, tilting his head to her, the corners of his lips upturn into an appreciative smile. 

Sarah huffs out a warm smile. “What has Maya done to you?” she says playfully, holding back her smile from breaking into a grin.

JJ’s eyes drop to his hand, brows scrunched, a faint smile rolls over his face on that thought. But, he slowly tenses a little again. “Well, we also talked about more… loads more things. About how much she reckons things aren’t over between her and Jude. That’s why she suggested this…to form an alliance. She thinks it's the only way we can beat Jude and his men if things go haywire, you know?… we need to work together as a team…” his gaze comes up to hers, and he begins to tick off his finger as they walk “-for us to get the treasure, for Kie not to be abducted… and for Rafe to get his land back… everything will be set right. It’s a win win if we all a team.” 

Sarah nods, understandingly. Her gaze turns more serious. “Did you tell him?... like everything?”

“Yep… everything.” 

They wander down the hallway at a leisurely pace, meeting the end, the guard walking past, disappearing through the door. They’re left alone, and Sarah felt she needed to get out a few more words before they’re met with Rafe, standing in the same room.

“Good.” she says, with a sigh, tensing up a little. She turns, and holds JJ's shoulders. “I need to tell you something, Jjay…” she pauses and takes a deep steady breath. “I think Maya is right… JB, Pope, Cleo and I have started to notice men shadowing our movements. I swear, my suspicion started a while ago, but now I’m certain. They are all over the place… but I still have a suspicion they are only after Kiara, I don’t know what it is- but I have this intuition- this gut feeling they want something from her. It was risky for her to come down here and pick you guys up, so I offered to go instead. She was so stubborn about the whole thing- literally nuts about needing to talk to Rafe after everything that happened- but I managed to convince her to stay- that she was putting herself in harm's way. It took so much out of me… I’m mad she’s not more pissed with Rafe- she’s willing to put herself in a vulnerable situation for him.” her expression morphs from ticked off into something more worrisome. “These guys look serious… guys cladded in black, wearing dark hoods… with a peculiar symbol engraved into them… they are stalking our properties… they may be part of a particular group.” 

The hallway door swings open, and Rafe peers his head through. “Could we please go.” he presses, sweeping a piercing glance between the two. His face screws up curiously, and then frustration joins his anger- “What are you doing- this isn’t some fucking game-” he snaps, then, infuriated, he wanders back in, letting the door slide close on its own- continuing his meltdown on the other side “-God-damn it- stupid damn fucking pogues-” he snaps again, they could hear him curse more on the other side.