Additional Part 24: Sibling Disputes

Start from the beginning

He waits for her to arrive… when, in, echoes Sarah’s footsteps, his head lifts up, and realizes it’s not Kie, and he stuffs his hands deep in his pockets gazing at her, confused. His lips begin to curl tightly, infuriated, and he tilts his head away, scratching the side of his head. Why was it that everyone that walked through that hallway had to be everyone else but the person he’d needed to see the most. A guard guides Sarah to stop outside their cell. She stops abruptly, forcing a smile.

“Great.” she scoffs, dryly. “Nice to see you both haven’t killed each other yet.”

JJ gets up onto his feet slowly, wiping his hands over his trousers, Rafe wanders closer to the door, face barely an inch from the metal. 

“Where’s Kie?” Rafe questions, eyeing Sarah. 

She hums with annoyance. She still feels pangs of anger, feels freshly mad with Rafe… how he’d treated Kie earlier and almost killed JJ.. 

“How is she, is she ok?-” he questions, trying to smooth out his tone, so it doesn’t come out sounding frustrated.

She could see the guilt that twinkled in his eyes. Sarah huffs out a frustrated sigh. 

She smoothes her face into a blank expressionless mask, he won’t get her pitty.

“She’s ok.” she says. “She’s shaky, Rafe, what do you expect? And she’s somewhere safe, not here.” She crosses her arms firmly over her chest, assessing him. “I’m going to tell you this once-” she waits to see if she has his attention. “I’m here to get you two out, but- '' her eyes latch to Rafes’, watching him seriously “but I’m only driving you home if you don’t pull any bullshit, ok?” she warns. “Maya is with Kie right now, so you should be happy she is with someone who can help her. I will drive you only if you're not a douchebag and do not give me trouble… otherwise, you can find your own way home. But, you may want to make it back to her before she leaves for the Outerbanks. We’ve all agreed we’re all not safe here so we’re all going back.” She steps aside to let the guard through to the door.  

Rafe’s lips press thinly together. He’d wanted to ask her many more questions, but he wills himself not to, deciding it’s better not to risk pissing her off further, when she’d already arrived in a mood. 

He waves a shaky hand, dismissively, as he turns his back and steps away from the cell door. He pinches the bridge of his nose like he’d been holding back a migraine- like he’d been trying to hold his head together. He couldn’t deal with Sarah being snappy. He’d had far too many things niggling his mind, and he’d hardly had any sleep, he was still slightly hungover and he didn’t want any more to think about- he was barely holding it all together- he’d been fighting the emotions already gnawing in his gut and push through his body… 

The guard searches through the keys on his belt, picking through the bundle he’d held in his hands until he’d come across the right one. Rafe turns to the sound of clinking, eyeing the guard impatiently waiting for him to finally unlock that heavy door. He runs his forefinger over his chin as he waits, biting down his lip, observing as the guard clunks open the lock. He swallows roughly as the door is being pulled open, his eyes flit around, barely meeting Sarah’s- “Thanks.” He mutters as he barges past her, squeezing through a narrow gap the second he’d had the chance to walk out. He moves down the hall in long strides, in a fierce pace, making his way down to the other end where a door leads out into a waiting room. He’d felt Sarah’s stare burn into his back- “Fucking hell-,” he mutters to himself, irritated- feeling like Sarah was ready to pull his stings- “Could we maybe get a move on,” he calls, rearing a look over his shoulders- “This ain’t a game- if Kie’s leaving soon I don’t want to miss her, right?-” he snaps, bursting through the door, and disappearing into the next room…