13 || Back In The 80s

ابدأ من البداية

"Okay," I say gently, "that's completely okay." 

"You deserve an explanation," he whispers, and I quickly shake my head. 

"No, Jonah. You don't have to tell us anything, okay?" I assure him, crouching down to be on his level as I talk to him. "This is a lot, especially for... um—" words fail me for a moment— "for new empaths. There's... this building is full with..." 

"Stop," he begs weakly, shaking his head with a laugh, "you're not good at that." I smile and look down at the ground, nodding my head side to side. 

He's not wrong.

"Just wait here or in the car if you get cold," I tell him, reaching over and lightly pushing his shoulder. A quick glance up reveals his soft yet sad smile. "We'll be back out soon." 

"What time do we need to get out?" Mike asks, drawing our attention to him. I think for a moment, remembering Jeremy's vague warnings. 

"Midnight is when the animatronics start glitching. I assume the Puppet is the only one we need to worry about, so any time before midnight unless we find the music box and it works," I reply. 

"I'll give you until sunset," Jonah says firmly, and I get the feeling he's not going to listen to any arguments. "Once the sun is down, I'm coming to get you and we're going to the hotel." 

"Deal," I chime. "That means the goal for tonight is just to find our spirits. We can deal with everything else tomorrow." 

"Sounds like a plan." Mike sounds slightly impatient, and Jonah is quick to pick up on it. 

"Good luck," the teenager says quickly, standing and dusting himself off. "And um... be safe." 

"We will," Mike and I say in sync. Jonah glances at me once more before our team of two turns and heads back to the door. 

"The energy's different," I comment as soon as we enter, keeping my voice low so as to not alarm Jonah. Mike glances over, his flashlight following his eyes as if he needs the beam of light to see my face. I step out of it, walking through the thick tension in the air and letting it wash over me. "Feels kind of like... I don't know... humidity?" 

"Ew?" Mike offers, watching me fumble through the room, making my way to the other side. "Where are you going?" 

"Wall," I reply, reaching out and touching the other side of the party room, glancing back at Mike. He raises an eyebrow and I gesture to the building. "Say something. I'll wait for a response." 

"What am I supposed to say?" he asks, looking around for a moment. 

"I don't know," I reply, "say hi. Introduce yourself. Call them out. Do—" 

Open the box.

"Puppet, please, we're trying to find someone," I snap, turning to the box and shining my flashlight to the prize counter. 

"Um, hello?" Mike calls out, raising his voice a bit as he leans to the side and looks down the hallway at the end of the room. "If anyone's there—" 

"If the five spirits from the Pizza Place are there," I correct, glaring at him. 

"What's wrong with how I said it?" he asks, and I'm more than willing to throw him under the bus. 

"It's probably a bad idea to invite everything in a haunted building to come talk to you," I warn him, and he presses his lips together in a silent apology. "Just... keep going. I'll listen." 

"If you recognize me or my friend, can you come talk to us? We want to—" 

A loud crash rings out and Mike and I leap up into the air. I turn my flashlight to the prize counter again as Mike runs across the room and presses one hand to the wall, the other to my shoulder. We're both shaking, our breaths quick and shallow as we look at the open box behind the shattered counter.