Chapter 17 - They Wouldn't

Start from the beginning

Yorki: "*sigh* Yes, but what I'm trying to say is that I think it would be best if you and Laboon stay there until-"

Gwen: "LABOON AND I ARE GONNA GO FISHING!"

Yorki: "Gwen-!"

Gwen: "BE BACK IN A WHILE!!...... *sigh*"

Gwen: "......The Rumbar Pirates are our friends, our family. They wouldn't leave us behind."

Boy 1: "Whatever you need to tell yourself, kid."

Boy 2: "But don't say we didn't warn you."

They ran off and Laboon whimpered behind me. I turned to him with a reassuring smile.

Gwen: "Don't worry, buddy. I guess this town isn't entirely pirate friendly, heh..."

I stroked his head as he was still frowning.

Gwen: "And about what captain said... he didn't mean it. I'm sure he's changed his mind by now! We'll head back to the ship later and everything will be good. We'll sing and dance all our worries away, haha!"

He lit up at the idea of singing with everyone tonight.

Gwen: "That's right, we don't need those kids. Let's play together!"

I giggled as he spun around and splashed me. Meanwhile...

Yorki: "So... do you think you could do something?"

The crew was silent.

Brook: "Wh... why now? Why me?"

Yorki: "We've all tried talking to them before, but it's just no good. I'm afraid they won't listen to us. Not even me... They both adore you, so we hope they'll listen to you."

Brook: "......"

Yorki: "Do you understand? There's simply no way we can protect them like this where we're going."

Brook: "... Captain..."

Yorki: "The fact is, Gwen and Laboon are still children. We can't take them with us to the Grand Line."

Brook: "I... I understand..."

He put a hand on his friend's shoulder.

Yorki: "Follow the river, you'll find them."

We were on our way back from a race down river when we saw Brook walking towards us.

Gwen: "Laboon, look!"

We hurried down the river, happy to see our best friend.

Gwen: "Hahaha, Brook!"

He crouched down and I jumped into his arms with a hug attack, giggling. And Laboon was leaping out of the water, chirping happily.

Brook: "Gwen, Laboon, I need you both to listen to me-"

Gwen: "Brook, did you come to play? Some kids were being jerks earlier, but I promised Laboon we would sing together."

Brook: "Alright, we'll sing later. But we really need to talk first."

I let go and he put his hands on my shoulders, looking between Laboon and me with a serious expression.

Brook: "There's no denying that the three of us are friends, but... you are still kids."

My smile disappeared and I took a step back, shaking him off.

Gwen: "... You too? NO!"

Laboon started yelling in defiance too.

Brook: "The Grand Line is too dangerous for young children like you!"

Gwen: "Stop! We're not listening! We're not staying behind!"

Brook: "It might be different if you were adults-!"

Gwen: "I can never become an adult! You know that! You all knew that when captain asked me to join the crew!"

Brook: "Okay, but... Think about your brother! He's still just a baby and there are enormous beasts in that sea! More savage than any in the West Blue!"

Laboon kept yelling at him, not caring about that.

Gwen: "We'll handle them! Just like always!"

Brook: "Gwen, Laboon, please believe me-!"

Gwen: "NO, ENOUGH!"

I pushed him and ran down river.

Brook: "Wait-!"

Laboon sprayed water in his face before following me. Brook headed back to the crew, soaking wet and recognising defeat.

Brook: "I tried... but they refuse to listen to me."

Yorki: "*sigh*... Maybe we should just sing then... You know the song I mean."

Brook: "That might make it worse."

Yorki looked around at his crew. No one was happy with this decision, but they knew it was necessary.

Yorki: "Then they leave us no choice... In order to keepour kids safe... we're going to have to do this the hard way."

"