Chapter 2 - Captain Calico Yorki

I woke up in a panic. Alone in a room I didn't recognise.

Gwen: "Where am I...? What... happened?"

I got out of the bed and walked over the door porthole. I peeked through to see a few people on deck. I didn't recognise anyone. I looked up the mast and gasped to see a Jolly Roger.

Gwen: "Pirates...!"

Arito: "Captain!"

I ducked down.

Arito: "You going to check on the girl?"

Yorki: "Yeah. I'm just gonna see if she's awake."

I panicked and hid in the bottom of the closet with my knees pulled up to my chest. I heard the door open.

Yorki: "Huh...? Hey! Any of you seen the kid out here?!"

"No, sir!" "Not us!" "Why? She gone?"

Yorki: "Hmm..."

I heard the door shut again and waited for a minute. It was silent so I opened the closet door. But when I peeked out, I saw the pirate captain was still in the room.

Yorki: "Hey there."

I gasped and shut myself back in.

Yorki: "Haha, you don't have to be afraid. I promise we don't want to hurt you."

Gwen: "..."

Yorki: "Why don't you come out of there? It must be pretty cramped."

Gwen: "... Not really."

Yorki: "If you say so... but I still feel kinda weird talking to a closet. Could you come out?"

I took a shaky breath before slowly opening the door and peeking out. I was surprised to see the pirate captain gave me a friendly smile.

Yorki: "There you are. Hi."

I stared at him for a second.

Yorki: "Don't worry, I won't bite."

I slowly walked out, not taking my eyes off him and sat down on the bed across from him.

Yorki: "Let's start with introductions. My name is Calico Yorki, I'm captain of the Rumbar Pirates. When you feel up to it, you can come out and meet my crew. Everyone's curious about you."

Gwen: "So... you are pirates."

Yorki: "That's right."

Gwen: "Though I suppose... if you wanted to kill me, you would have just let me drown."

He stared at me, taken aback by my statement.

Yorki: "Ahah, I guess that's true, we could have. But we're not like that, I promise."

Gwen: "So you're good pirates?"

Yorki: "Good and bad is in the eye of the beholder, kid. Though where you're coming from... yes, we are."

Gwen: "...... My name is Gwen."

He was happy I trusted him enough to tell him my name.

Yorki: "Pleasure to know you, Gwen."

He held his hand out to me, I took it, and he shook it with a smile.

Gwen: "Can you tell me what happened?"

Yorki: "Not much. All we know is you were adrift in the middle of the sea all by yourself. Laboon brough you to us."

Gwen: "Who's... wait... Is Laboon a baby whale?"

Yorki: "Yes. You remember?"

Gwen: "I can sort of remember being picked up by a little whale... though I thought that was a dream."

Yorki: "Can you... remember anything before that?"

Gwen: "Hmm..."

Yorki: "How about your folks? Your island? We can take you home no problem."

I thought hard, trying to remember anything before waking up here.

Yorki: "Perhaps, this'll help."

My eyes widened as he pulled out an unlocked neck shackle.

Gwen: "That's..."

Yorki: "Sea prism stone. It was around your neck when Laboon found you."

And it started coming back to me.

Gwen: "Don't let them take me! Mom! Dad!"

Marine Officer: "Let's go, E.C!"

I gasped.

Marine Officer: "Captain! E.C jumped overboard!"

Segawa: "Stupid brat knows she can't swim!"

Tears filled my eyes as I started remembering everything.

Yorki: "Hey, you alright? Gwen?"

Gwen: "I... I can never go back home..."

Yorki: "Wh-why...?"

Gwen: "That shackle, take it and throw it overboard... please..."

Before I could start crying, I got up and locked myself back in the closet.

Yorki: "Aw, kid... Listen, I'll leave you alone. But we want to help you. If you need anything, just come tell us, alright."

I could only reply with muffled crying as I heard the cabin door open and close again.

Brook: "How is she?"

Yorki: "Girl's had it rough. Give her some space, and I'll check on her again later."