39

Light is stunned. Frozen in surprise that his arch nemesis has actually... Kissed him.

L pulled back, immediately after. He looked away. Ashamed that he has feelings for Kira.

Light's gaze softened. "L," he muttered. L slowly looked back towards Light. Almost as if he is hesitant on doing so. Like even if he looked at Light the wrong way, he was afraid for his life.

"You love me." Light repeated as he stared into L's darkened eyes. Trying to decipher the true feelings that lurk inside of them.

"Yes, Kira. I do." L responded back, his voice a bit wavered. He was afraid. Being in love with a mass murderer? He knew he shouldn't but he can't block out these feelings.

He is glad that he has told Light. In fact relieved that he has finally gotten this off his chest.

"You know," Light paused. Leaning closer as he is now inches away from L's face. "This is tough on me as well."

L didn't say anything this time. Light balled up his fists. Suddenly, the manic of anger lashed out of him.

"I WANT TO KILL YOU!"

L gasped as he heard these threatening words. But observed how Light's tensed shoulders eventually dropped themselves.

"But I can't..." Light lowered his head. "I can't kill you. Part of me just wants to finish this, rule the world and be god of it. Claim my victory and defeat you once and for all."

"But, I can't do that. I just can't! Because.. because..." Light's voice began to shake. His throat tightening. The anger disappeared. Now replaced with anxiety, pain, and guilt.

"Because, of what.. Kira?" L asks.

Light balled his fists once again. Shutting his eyes tight. Tears rolling down them as he screams out.

"It's because i love you!"

L now stared at Light in shock. His mouth slightly slipped open as his lips trembled in.. relief, shock, and frozenness.

Light opened his eyes, tears remained inside of them. But easily slipped out as soon as he looks at L.

"I have always had feelings for you. Hatred or not, I mostly hated you at the beginning. The very beginning you were my enemy. My arch nemesis. Someone that I just needed to sacrifice. Then, I proceeded to join the task force and on the investigation to catch Kira. As I was investigating however... With you around, I just.. I don't know.. was glad to build the strong bond we have today. I FUCKED UP!"

"I see..." L trailed off. Placing his hands onto Light's shoulders as he is staring into Light's eyes.

"...Light, you were my bestest friend I could ever have. But now, you are no such thing. That bond has been nothing but broken into crumbles by now. Even so, I always have suspected you as Kira and my suspicions have been analyzed and all came back correctly in my statement. You kept denying because you didn't want me to find out sooner. Why is that?"

Light sighed. Looking away for a moment before locking eyes once again with L.

"I don't know.. I suppose I liked the challenge. I was bored. Lame excuse to say in that context. But listen, Ryuzaki – L, I was planning on killing you. Getting you to be gone and out of the question. I knew you always suspected me as Kira, hence why I kept switching the tables on you for my behalf. Besides, I also loved the thrill of us ... You know, investigating together. I didn't want my case to be solved. So I kept playing games, kept you going. But unfortunately I have lost this game of our lives."