Part V: The Journey

Cynthia had many responsibilities, she took accountability for her family, it was her job to look after her friends; she felt obligated to look after and protect everyone she cared for. Her Ma saw that, perhaps the sole reason why she was happy for her to spend the winter break abroad with some friends; her vigilant and preservative nature made her even more deserving of a break. Cynthia was very grateful for her Ma, and she was grateful for Cynthia. They had a strong co-dependency that was tough to shatter. She thought about that as she stared at the mirror, she was brushing her ash-blonde hair; it was silky and velvety, going down to her shoulders and swaying softly when as turned her head. She'd be taking a cruise for the first time in her life, yet alone with a V.I.P ticket, she wanted to look the part. Putting on her ruby lipstick and blush, she looked like a star out of a Broadway musical, and she knew it; the fact was satisfying. In her bedroom sat a large suitcase, bulging from the contents within, Cynthia's mother always made sure to be well prepared. On the bed was a sangria blouse, one that matched her lipstick, light grey jeans, ones that matched her hair and a yellow hair bow, that complimented her amber eyes. Attached to the hook of the door was a cream-colored jacket, a present from her mother on for her 13th birthday; she held it close to her, it reminded Cynthia of her.

Aiden's father had offered to take them to the Boscouche Coast after a while of convincing, she hadn't heard the full report back, but she was told that Mr Wyatt may have had some conditions for the journey, she would have to find out once she got there. She put on her earmuffs, her lucky bracelet – another gift from her mother - and left for the door, taking the suitcase with her; struggling under its weight. Her mother was waiting in the car, getting out to help her put the suitcase in the trunk. She sighed as she sat down in the car, the damn thing was heavier than it looked. She was glad that everyone would be able to come, some parents were harder to convince than others; no denhing that, but the tickets certainly piqued their interest. Only Aiden wasn't 100% on board with the journey, he was still suspicious of the whole ordeal, but he did need a reason to get out of the house for the winter, so he decided to tag along. This news put Cynthia in a jovial mood for the days that preceded the departure, Aiden was the heart of the group and the very glue that kept it together. Everyone was important, now that Cynthia thought about it, Magnus was the motivator; in tough times he'd always know what to say, and when to say it, he was wise. Lucia was the brains, she was quite the overachiever, and her knowledge always helped the group thrive and push forward in tough times. Cynthia saw herself as the mother of the group, the therapist and someone who would always catch you when you fell, her loyalty would never be eclipsed by anyone else.

"Are you ready to go Cece?" Her mother asked, getting into the driver's seat.

"Always am!"

                                         ...

The car arrived at the Wyatt estate at dusk, where she could see everyone else waiting for her. She gazed at the house before her in awe, it wasn't her first time at Aiden's place, but she always underestimated the sheer size of the place, it was huge. As she grabbed her suitcase with her mother's help, she found herself still in a fixated gaze at the house before her. She crossed the road and made it to Aiden who was deep in conversation with Lucia, he was wearing a navy turtleneck and black jeans, his coffee-brown hair was slicked back, with gold star-shaped sunglasses sitting comfortably on top. Lucia was wearing a black minidress and low heel shoes, her hair was tied back in a bun. She managed to make her outfit match her eyepatch, which impressed Cynthia quite a lot, the thing stuck out like a sore thumb at times. She kept the peculiar sun-eye pin, the one she got as a gift, on it however, sitting in the middle of her eyepatch as if it was replacing her original eye, seeing for her. If Cynthia thought she looked like 1 million dollars, her friends were taking the cake for the best looking of the night. Cynthia's mother handed Aiden's father the suitcase, who was visibly baffled at the size of it, his shocked demeanour becoming even more prominent after tyring to hold it. He hastily moved it to the trunk of his jeep, slamming the door with a deep exhale, Magnus came out from the car to greet Cynthia. "Hey! You look amazing!" He complimented.